- Provided Mike Hill 6 in 60 Metal Order
Team Culturing Information
last updated: Apr 17, 2013. Mike hill has a CNC Torch Table for cutting metal - see Mike Hill Plasma Table.
WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Mike Hill, American
- Location – Garnett, KS, United States
- Contact Information – mike (at) ecomidwest (dot) com, 785-304-0825
- Introductory Video - Mike Hill's Intro Video
- Resume/CV –
This resume is about two years old. Now that I'm self employed I don't really use one.
Mike Hill's Resume
I currently renovate and lease downtown buildings in Garnett. I own four buildings and have completed two. Here is a link to my restoration blog.
- Hobbies and Pastimes -
-volunteering in my community
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
Yes, the idea of a free flow of information and ideas appeals to me.
- Why are you interested in this work?
I would like to learn about the building process and then build the machines for resale donating a percentage of the profits back to the GVCS project. I find the idea of selling and building lifetime, easily repairable machines very appealing.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes and Yes. I enjoy building machines a great deal.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
Yes. I live in an agricultural area and would like build and sell farm machinery.
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
No, I would like to fabricate myself. Garnett has a local metal supplier and foundry.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes, but I'm definitely more interested in the building than the development side.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
It depends on the specific investment opportunity, but under the right circumstance, yes.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
I like the idea that the almighty dollar will play less of a roll as technology is shared and becomes more available.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
I have a background in, and am a strong supporter of renewable energy so definitely yes. I'm also interested in the idea of distributing heat rather than fuel in the form of wood gasification boilers.
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes, but building from scratch may be misguided. I wonder if rebuilding failing agricultural towns might be a better strategy. (existing infrastructure and the like) As agriculture has become less localized many towns across the state are barely hanging on. Why build when you can renovate? Also, these towns have very flexible city governments because of their size.
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
No. (had to look up bug-out hut by the way)
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
It seems to me that if people have ample access to food, comforts, and manufacturing, money won't play a major role in their lives. Money is power because we live in a system that relies on it.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
If you have ample resources, why would you have resource conflict?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
The more developed the country the fewer children people have. Develop the country, reduce the population.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
People often choose resource depletion and environmental degradation based on cost. If we can make the cost lower for sustainable alternatives, we can prevent these practices.
- Other comments
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I only found out about the project a couple days ago, but so far I've emailed the information to several of my contacts and shared the link on Facebook.
- Blogger, decent with Sketchup, marketing
- Project management, Public speaking, networker
- I've written business plans and I worked as a professional estimator in the solar industry.
- My degree is in Anthropology/Philosophy and I'm very civic minded. In my community I sit on the Economic Development board, Industrial development board, Downtown Network committee, and I attend Tourism committee meetings. I absolutely love stuff like this.
- I'm a fair electrician and I've used Sketchup for modeling.
- fabricator, construction worker, mason, carpenter, welder, woodworker, chainsaw operator, roofer, plumber, mason, etc. I've built a belt grinder, spot welder, layout table, welding table, punches, tongs, dies, woodworking tools, anvil tools, basic hotworking dies, and commissioned sculptural work.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I'm an artist Blacksmith. I've taken industrial and freeform power hammer classes at the Ozark school of blacksmithing. I've also taken advanced courses at the John C Campbell folk school. If you want to turn a cut up piece of junk tool steel (coil springs, leaf springs, axles) into a usable tool (punches, dies, etc.), I'm the guy to call.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
I would like to build, refine, and trouble shoot the GVCS.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
I've committed to a month.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
When I have my fab shop up and running I can envision a scenario where I build something for pay to meet specific needs of the project. That is not my goal however.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
Not yet. I'm more interested in donating time than money at this point.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
No. I'm a real estate developer so I have properties and tenants to manage. I am also very active in my communities development. Garnett is my home, so while I'll play a roll in the GVCS development, the grand experiment is beyond my commitment level.