Open Source Technology Transfer
When engaging in projects of technology transfer - a best practice process should be kept in mind. If a person is being recruited for high level work of open source technology transfer, the entry point is assessing and retrieving existing documentation. A good case in point is how to open source aluminum extraction of clay. See http://blog.opensourceecology.org/2010/12/open-source-aluminum/ as an example
- What documentation exists already?
- Is it available in the open source?
- What would it take to make it accessible in the open source and to relicense it under Creative Commons or similar license?
- How to make a strategic offer to open up the prior art?
- Is the technology for sale, and for placement into the commons?
- What prior contracts, relationships, and third party contracts stand in the way of accessing the technology?
- What are the key blocks (people, resources, contracts) preventing the information from entering the commons?