This can provide internal 3D Scanning of metal objects. This is done using a CT (Computed Tomography) scanner - formerly known as CAT scanner.
Existing Open Source Designs
Minimum Viable Product
- CERN Open source computation of 3D images from 2D scans - OpenCT
- DIY x-ray source from Hackaday by Matt "Sigurthr" Giordano - 
- Digital Radiography - Wikipedia - 
- Coolidge Tube x-ray source, old tech - 
- Phone app for Geiger counter - 
- Dental x-ray source, new - $500 - 
- Photostimulable phosphor - 
- X rays can hit a photostimulable phosphor image plate to emit light, which can be detected by a regular camera CCD detector. . Can this be used as a low cost way to generate x-ray images?
- You can use a beryllium window to turn a regular camera into an x-ray camera - Instructables - 
- X-ray production animation - 
- Coolidge Tube exlanation animation - 
- Spectrometry - x-ray fluorescence -