Politics Follows the Economy
Economics Determines Politics, Not the Other Way Around
The An important question from the OSE perspective is where political power comes from - as understanding the source of power helps us to affect it (for the better). It is generally accepted in the US that money buys politics , and that the politics are thus corrupt . Where does money come from, however? Money comes from economic activity. The sum of economic activity is the Economy. Thus, it may be said that politics are determined by the economy. The take-home message from the OSE perspective is that if we want to change politics, we must change the economy. From this viewpoint - protesting and political reform are superficial efforts at change - as the real change must happen at the level of economy, which by definition will change politics. This does not appear to be controversial.
Thus, it is important to keep clear that Economics Determines Politics, and not that Politics Creates Economics.
- Do you want government reform? Change the economy.
- Do you want an open source patent system? Change the economy.
- Do you want to end wars? Change the economy.
- Do you want to change X? Change the economy.
You get the picture.
- Whoever pays the piper calls the tune. This is not controversial.