Power Supply Basics
- Half wave rectifier, full wave rectifier, and full wave bridge rectifiers - 
- Power Supply Cookbook PDF - 
- Horowitz and Hill, The Art of Electronics, Ch. 9 - 
Art of Electronics Notes
Switch mode supply requires:
- Ch 9 p 630 - Switch and fuse needed at AC side
- Also, a filter at AC side filters possible RF from power line, using a line voltage capacitor
- Transient suppressor - a variable resistor - metal oxide varistor - shorts to ground for any high voltage spikes. It's like a high voltage, bidirectional zener diode.
- Insulate line-voltage connections to prevent shock hazard
- Storage capacitor - prevents ripple -
- The term “switching converter” usually means a power converter that uses inductors (and sometimes transformers), along with high-frequency transistor switches, to carry out voltage conversion.
- www.creepage.com - distance between components