Precious Plastic Extruder
- Wood bit - 1" - . 7/16" shank, as in 1/2" version. Local - 
- Pipe flange - Menards $5 - 
- Pipe flange - pack of 10 - Amazon - $4 ea - 
- 1" pipe -
OSE Version Design Rationale
- Slow auger version powered by a Nema 17 with large auger.
- Vertical hang to reduce auger power requirement
- Remove flow control screw and rely on temperature and auger speed instead. PP version doesn't have speed control on motor, so motor control produces additional control required here
- We want low speed equivalent to a strong corded drill such as .
- Torque Calculator shows this drill has only about 30 in-lb torque
- This is more like it -  - 0-600 RPM, same power - means - 140 in-lb.
- PP shredder is 1770 in lb - 10x stronger - Precious_Plastic_Shredder#Torque_and_RPM
- We have experience with Lyman filament maker, 50W, 140 in lb:
- About 140 in lb for motor above. This should be plenty for an extruder application.
- If we take a 1A, 12V motor - Nema 17 - that is 1/4 the power of the above.
- But power for steppers apparently doesn't work like this - as that indicates 600x geardown if we consider power alone. 140 in lb is 140*16 in-oz = 2240 oz in. Then we need 30 geardown for a Nema 17 motor at low speed. That is well doable for a 3D printed geardown.
- Note that Nema motors retain good torque at 300 RPM, so we obtain 10 RPM within the good torque regime.
- Let's move on to Planetary Geardown.
CAD - OSE Version
- This is the OSE version remake. See https://github.com/OpenSourceEcology/Extruder
Overall Build - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter overall.fcstd
Overall Build - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter motor.fcstd
Auger - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter auger.fcstd
Auger - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter bearing.fcstd
Auger - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter flowcontrol.fcstd
Auger - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter flowadjust.fcstd
Overall Build - FreeCAD -File:Filamenter controller.fcstd
- Insulator brick - 
- Carbon fiber welding blanket insulation - 
- Small high torque hydraulic motor -  $50
- Type K Thermocouple -  - $7
- SSR -  - $7
- 1" flange - $4 on amazon -  or $5 menards - 
- PID Controller - $23 - 
- PID with SSR + thermocouple - $14 -  - got 3.
-  band heaters - 35x45 mm - $4 + SH - 
-  band heater - 1.75" for next coupler
- 1-3/4" coupler - 
- 1.75" heater - 
- 1.75" is 45 mm
- 35 mm is 1.38 in
- 40 mm is 1.57 inches
- OD of pipe union
- 1.25" and 1.75" nozzle heaters are available easily -