Richard Van Iderstine
Team Culturing Information
last updated: 25. April, 2011
WHO are you?
- Name' - Richard Van Iderstine
- Nationality' - American
- Location - Davidsonville, Maryland, USA
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
e-mail: richard (dot) v (at) me (dot) com
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - Here's a link to my website which has a link to my resume on the home page: http://richardv.com
- Hobbies and Pastimes -
Making/designing/imagining/tinkering with things
Staying current with the latest in science and technology
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I endorse open source culture. I believe open source hardware is the best way to provide access to the technology necessary to industrialize underdeveloped regions.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I am interested in collaborating with OSE because I would like to support the OSE mission while gaining experience and learning technical skills.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?'
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
I will probably make some for personal use when I get out of school
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies?
- Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power).
- Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
- Are you interested in creating a bug-out hut using GVCS technologies?
- How do you think that the GVCS can help alleviate the instabilities of global monetary systems?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues related to resource conflicts?
The GVCS will allow access to a myriad of resources such as crops, bricks, etc. to resource poor areas. This will reduce dependence on scarce resources and therefore reduce conflict.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of overpopulation?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address issues of resource depletion and environmental degradation?
Renewable energy harvesting by machines of the GVCS can reduce demand for energy from centralized power plants that use non-renewable resources. This will lower toxic air emissions.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I would become more involved if I am invited to the farm to fabricate machines between my Summer and Fall classes from mid-July to mid-August.
- What are you missing in the project?
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
Posted TED video on Facebook.
- I can use photoshop, AutoCad, matlab, and sketchup, however, Im learning Blender too. Most of this is evident on my website
- Public event organizing
- Public speaking
- I am familiar, but no more than a casual user.
- I have never, but i think I could.
- See "Communications" above.
- Not yet.
Electronics and Magnetics
- I have a foundation in circuit design that consists of Physics 2 and making an RC model hovercraft..
- Not yet.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
40+ hours a week from mid-July to mid-August
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit? More info at Dedicated_Project_Visit
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
I am more wealthy in labor and brainpower than in money, so I would rather donate that.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
Yes, from mid-July to mid-August
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology – as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.