FreeBSD enthusiast. I work in IT Support field for 10yrs. Lots of experience in computer repairing (both hardware and software). Actively speak (beside Slovenian language) Serbian/Croatian and English.
Team Culturing Information
Last updated: April 12, 2012
WHO are you?
- Name - Samo Blatnik
- Location (city, country) - Maribor, Slovenia
- Contact Information (email, skype, phone) - samo (dot) blatnik (at) gmail (dot) com, skype: samoblatnik, Mobile: +386 41 333 319
- Picture - http://www.ted.com/profiles/translations/id/899553
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV - It is in Slovenian: http://www.ted.com/profiles/bio/id/899553
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
I use and spread the word about open source for more over ten years, when I started to use Linux. I have helpped many friends to overcome fear and installed them this great operating system. Now I use even more sophisticated system called PCBSD, wich is also based under opensource project called FreeBSD.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
I have worked with organization called The Venus Project, but their lack of support in Open Source made me look into projects that are more opened to this kind of ideology, wich OSE definitelly is. I agree with what founder of TVP - Jacque Fresco speaks about, but they do not understand yet the poential of Open Source projects. I hope this will eventually change.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
I could not agree more what Marcin told on his TED talk: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/marcin_jakubowski.html
That is why I transladed this article to Slovenian.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
- What is missing in the project?
I think nothing. While people are loosing jobs, we just need to gather criticall mass to get things going.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
I read this great book called "How to think like Einstein" by Scott Thorpe and started to implement ideas presented there in my life. It works!
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
IT Support, FreeBSD implementation for server solutions, PCBSD for desktops, Geodesic Domes for greenhouses
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Translation of Marcin's TED talk to Slovenian, posting links on Facebook about OSE project and talking to my friends about possible implications of this project.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Spreading the word, work on improving technical documentation, Geodesic Domes implementation
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Depends on my current activities, around 8 hours per week or more
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
Yes, building networks (cabeling, server room designs), implementing servers based on FreeBSD and PCBSD for desktops. I also reinstall computers based on Windows OS (50€ per computer). Minimum hour charged in my ex company was 9€.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
Yes, but my current financial status is "barelly covering my own costs" since I lost my job in 2010. I freelance here and there but situation in Slovenia is severely hit by economic crisis.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
As I mentioned, I have no steady job, so my income barelly cover my daily costs.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment â€“ a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.