Samuel Carlisle Dedicated Project Visit Application
1. Name, location, contact info (phone, email, Skype).
Samuel Carlisle, Berlin (Germany)
Phone: n/a (no number)
2. Are you over the age of 18? (affirm yes or no)
3. When would you be available for a Dedicated Project Visit and for what duration?
From November 10th 2013 untill December 23rd 2013
4. Please attach a resume or provide a list of work / volunteer experience and education. Bio: I am an electronic engineer, community organizer, civic media expert, and entrepreneur. I establish technical infrastructure and social patterns that enable collaboration and participation, facilitate and inspire teams, and create and promote the use of civic media and disruptive technologies — from 3D printers to etherpads to apps for direct action. I am the co-founder Sukey.org, a platform to keep demonstrators safe, mobile, and informed. I founded OccupyLSX tech, and am a key contributor to Cryptoparty, and been known to go all-in on initiatives like Hurricane Hackers. A longtime member of the London Hackspace, I repair and hack everything I own, and help others become empowered by and involved with maker culture. I hold a BEng with honors from Durham University, and I am a member of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Resume sent by email to OSE Technical Community Manager on 21st October 2013.
LinkedIn profile: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/samuel-carlisle/20/ba/248
5. Please include a photo of yourself.
6. Please submit a 1-2 minute video introduction regarding your interest in applying. This is a video-of-interest (VOI) and it must include: (1) Name and country where you are located, (2) why you are interested in applying; (3) what you would like to contribute to our effort and relevant skill set that will help you do that; (4) what are you hoping to get out of your visit? Please upload this video to a public video sharing site such as YouTube or OpenPhoto.
7. Are you willing to publish all the results of your work openly according to the OSE Open IP Guidelines?
8. Do you have resources to support yourself while volunteering with us?
If by resources you mean money then no, sadly not. But I have my laptop, soldering iron, multimeter and programming cable and I am generally well equipped for winter / survival ^_^
9. Do you have sample work that you could upload and/or share via email? (ie. projects, designs, technical writing, graphic designs, videos, etc).
* http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Samthetechie_log * https://github.com/samthetechie * http://samthetechie.github.io/ * http://cryptoparty.in/ * http://web.archive.org/web/20130513134034/http://www.opensukey.org/news/
10. Are there skills/expertise you hope to gain while a DPV at FeF?
I would gain alot of new experience and insights from working in/with metal. I am also keen to fabricate more industrial/heavy duty robotics and hyrdaulics so IMO the set of machines which are the topics of the design sprints atm map perfectly to my interests.
11. Please provide three (3) references (professional or educational). Contact information for references can be uploaded with the application, resume, or emailed directly to email@example.com.
Sent by email to OSE Technical Community Manager on 21st October 2013.
12. How did you hear about OSE and the DPV opportunity?
Mar/Apr 2011 TED Talk, I was inspired by the talk and reached out / emailed Marcin right away.
13. Do you have any other concerns or considerations? (May be emailed separately)
None at the moment.