Seed Home 2 Training and Management
- 1 Intro
- 2 Recruiting Strategy
- 3 Local Teams
- 4 Owner-Builder Training - 4 Hours Prep + 24 Hours Hackathon + 7 Day Build Training
- 5 Enterprise Track: 6 Month Immersion Training for Entrepreneurs
- 6 OSE Chapters Track: 12 Month Immersion Training For OSE Chapters
- 7 Swarm Builds
- 8 Links
Training and management refers to the team, and how to recruit, train and manage everyone.
For rapid scaling, we can't rely on people already possessing integrated skillsets. People like Jessica are team players, open source collaborative, teacher, builder are typical candidate. Adjunct professors may be a good choice for people who have relatively well-developed aspects of psycho-social integration that allows them to work together and teach others effectively. The critical element to watch out for is for uninclusive selfishness. Inclusive selfishness is great, which is more in line with Mother Theresa.
There is a significant property of the Swarm Build method that facilitates recruiting - a persistent problem in house building due to the high skill required. OSE solution: eliminate the need for high skill by smart design, digital fabrication, rapid learning materials, modularity, simple design, human scale, and design for the Economy of Affection.
Owner-Builder Training - 4 Hours Prep + 24 Hours Hackathon + 7 Day Build Training
This is the training prior to the XE event, and coordination for tasks.
- 12 distilled videos on OSE Collaboration Protocol for large-scale collaboration. Modular breakdown. Log on wiki + live docs embedded + links to other docs (part libraries, files, etc)
- 12 distilled videos on technological index of possibility, as well as collaboration mindset - which enables the index of possibility. Related to machines, construction, OBI, modules tech overview (construction/machines) swarming, extreme enterprise. In the most distilled fashion possible starting from the birth of a star.
- 2 meetings with facilitators
- Initial application based on skill set, and submitting a task.
Extreme Enterprise Event
- XE event is a practice in large-scale collaboration
- Production of a 2000 page detailed build manual.
Our customers are our collaborators. Their build training prepares them to build all the modules for their house, so they can install in their 1 week with a friend.
- Foundation build and patios
- Floor - structure and coverings.
- Walls - includes exterior/interior trellis
- Roof - includes overhangs
- Plumbing - mostly related to basic skills of making connections, as applied to Utility Panel
- Electrical - mostly related to basic skills of making connections, as applied to Utility Panel. Includes Utility Channel.
- Utility Panel - integrates to outdoor connection, and connects to Bathroom and Sink.
- Meeting for customization - see Seed Home Customization.
- Generate BOM for Drop Ship for the OB. OB calls in the order of materials, on a decided-upon schedule - 1-3 main shipments.
- Assistance on passing inspection schedule.
- Lesson on how to find land on zillow
- Support on build of modules and finished house. Up to 50 hours total.
- Guidance in hiring out work if the OB cannot do the build of the modules or final house build
- Potential assistance in organizing a Swarm Build Event via an education workshop. 50% learning, 50% build.Valid from point where 50% of the house is built.
- Unlimited attendance at FeF trainings if additional learning on build technique is needed
Enterprise Track: 6 Month Immersion Training for Entrepreneurs
Each is a 4-8 hour study or practice session per day. Some topics, especially around Event Organizing, may require multiple times. If you have another job, this can still be done as 'night school'.
Immersion training for the Enterprise Track consists of an immersion of going from novice to Extreme Builder in 6 months. This means emphasis on the hands-on training. Each Enterprise Track candidate must attend 3 sessions at Factor e Farm:
- Build Training - 3 times. Regular participants: 7 days. This gives the candidate fluency in building modules - as the candidate will do this at least 3 times for each module until they are comfortable. First time - they participate. Second time, they assist. Third time - they lead.
- Additional session may be required if proficiency is not met after 3 Build Training sessions.
- The exam is: 2 days after the 3rd time on site. Build a wall module. Build a floor module, or part of it. Build a Roof module, or part of it. PV and Biodigester - build a part of it.
T0 is the Extreme Enterprise event.
Bold is 7 days in the On-site week.
- OBI Modular Design Intro
- OSE Collaborative Design Intro
- Foundation Design
- Foundation Build
- Foundation BOM + Substitutability
- Floor Design
- Floor Build
- Floor BOM + Substitutability
- Walls design
- Walls build
- Walls BOM + Substitutability
- Roof design
- Roof build
- Roof BOM + Substitutability
- Electrical design
- Electrical build
- Electrical BOM + Substitutability
- Plumbing design
- Plumbing build
- Plumbing + Substitutability
- Utility Panel design
- Utility Panel build
- Utility Panel + Substitutability
- PV design
- PV build
- PV + Substitutability
- Biodigester design
- Biodigester build
- Biodigester + Substitutability
- Macerating Toilet design
- Macerating Toilet build
- Macerating Toilet + Substitutability
- Landscape design
- Landscape design - installs - walkways, retaining walls, drainage, plantings, living roof, forestry
- Macerating Toilet + Substitutability
Design and Collaboration
- Collaboration mindset - cultivating supercooperation throughout - you don't have to do it alone, it's about all working together. Communicate on Forum, ongoing check in with issues on the log.
- OSE Collaboration Protocol
- Sweet Home 3D
- 3D Printing in Construction
- OBI Studio Broadcasting
- Modifying floor plans in Sweet Home
- Modifying plans and extracting BOMs in FreeCAD
- Design Spreadsheets - foundation
- Design Spreadsheets - floor
- Design Spreadsheets - walls
- Design Spreadsheets - roof
- Design Spreadsheets - PV
- Design Spreadsheets - biodigester
- Design Spreadsheets - decks, trellis, landscaping
- Workflow ergonomics
- Good, fast, and cheap
- Modular Task Breakdown in Design, Development Process, and Builds
- Design for expandability
- Teaching skills: running workshops effectively
- Documentation Skills: towards collaborative instructional and video production
- Machine design and building: tractor + helical pile auger
Part of the collaboration training will include working with real clients to assist them in building their home. This program will be tailored to the individual - depending on whether an individual is a complete novice to building, or has skill in construction and the trades.
THe program involves training on house building, to understand both the technical design detail and its build in the field. This includes negotiating design modifications and sourcing materials accordingly. The program also involves training in swarm builds, where the entrepreneur learn to manage a crew from 1-100 people in a house build - covering the techniques of swarm building based on modular design that OSE developed over the years.
The minimum program involves learning the ins-and-outs of a complete build, from assessing a site, negotiating with building departments, the ability to outsource parts of the build such as helical pier foundations, and the build technique itself. This is all with respect to being able to guide an owner builder or construction crew in a complete build. The entrepreneur will learn to build hands-on, to guide the owner builder in their build, and to make small design modifications. Advanced options in the build training includes:
- How to make substantial design changes, including in FreeCAD and Sweet Home 3D.
- Preparing a custom building package/plan for building departments
- Producing custom bills of materials
- Leading larger crews in swarm build events
- Participating in large-scale collaborative design to generate new features and products, as related to housing and other products
Potential Topics Covered in the Enterprise Section
- Building Package for Building Departments. How to pull a permit. Inspection schedules.
- Seed Home Budget
- OSE Linux
- Construction Management - hiring carpenters, foundation work, plumbers, electricians
- Business planning and economic analysis of the build from foundation to landscaping
- Customer support
- Remote quality control
- Recruiting and hiring work
- Effective build techniques for construction with only 1 person
- Marketing strategy
- Training of Collaborators
- Creating a Webpage
- Outsourcing pile production
- Augering work
- Open Source Everything Store - creating a page
- Site visit and site assessment for climate and soil
- Extreme Build Workflow
- Running Extreme Build Events
- Organizing Extreme Build Events - to assist in house builds.
OSE Chapters Track: 12 Month Immersion Training For OSE Chapters
Same first 6 months as Enterprise Track, but then adding an R&D component.
There is typically a contradiction betweeen R&D and enterprise: those are rare skills to have together.
The Enterprise Track person focuses on execution of builds.
The OSE Chapter Track focuses on R&D. As the R&D capacity evolves, the OSE Chapter Track evolves to movement entrepreneurship. So we can say that the OSE Chapter track is for the longer-term enterprise training. This training emphasizes the mission-based aspect, so that the entperprise aspect can be placed on a good footing.
For this, the OSE Chapters track includes more coverage of:
- Collaborative Design
- Machine Design
- Extreme Event Design - Extreme Enterprise, Extreme U.
- Positive psychology and peak performance training: removing blocks to performance
- Teaching skills: learning how to teach
- Learning skills: learning how to learn
- Ethical enterprise
and then other active areas building on 3D printing and Universal Axis technology:
- 3D Printers - for construction
- CNC Torch Table - for machines
- Screw Machine and Grinder - for precision parts
The goal is to start making as many 3D printed house components as possible to reduce cost further - while developing new techniques for ecological housing that include CEB and other techniques. This is for the 2028 near-term plan of completing the GVCS.
Under certain circumstances, the OB may apply for a swarm build event being hosted around their particular build. This is where the general public is invited to a paid immersion training event - to pick up hands-on and design skills - while engaging in a build of a real house. We believe that we can provide significant value to other potential builders - if they are considering building a Seed Home in the future
The swarm build option may be called upon due to unforeseen difficulties, when an OB is not able to complete a build, for promotional purposes, or just as part of OSE's public education mission. Conditions for such a build involve availability of OSE staff (qualified enterprise or OSE chapters track candidates may be involved) and other factors. This is an occasional resource that may be tapped, but should not be considered initially for build finishing - unless specific arrangements are made.
The swarm build involves half classroom and half hands-on training - as a significant portion of Seed Home is built. The schedule leaves plenty of time for learning theory and design - and plenty of time for the hands-on skill learning via the build. This may be especially interesting as people can build the PV system or utility panel. The incentive for the OB is enlisting significant hands-on help in a rapid time frame. OSE staff organizes the build with the Build Facilitator, and shares the revenue with the Build Facilitator. The OB's responsibility is to provide tools for participants, as well as to provide lunch for the participants - and to provide restroom facilities. For such swarm builds - anywhere between 6 participants and up may sign up - depending on success of the outreach effort. We believe this provides significant value to participants - as they can learn innovative build techniques - and change their life by discovering that they could also build their own house according to the OSE/OBI model.
The Swarm Build constitutes a training program for the public - and OSE staff are trained according to a program that is documented completely in the Seed Home Manual.