RepRap 3d-printer axes are often stepper motor driven. Modern proprietary 2d-printers almost always use servos (DC motor + encoder) instead. Servo-based drives are often lighter and cheaper as well as featuring closed loop control.
- State-of-the-art RepRap servo usage video, 2016
- Code used in video, 2016
- Blog on Arduino PID library for 3d-printer, 2015
- RepRap forums, a worked servo example, 2007
- RepRap Wiki on Motor Control Loop
- RepRapServo 1.0 active before, 2012
- RepRap Wiki GearMotorStepper
- RepRap Motor FAQ
- Open Servo. Active before 2012.
- Open Encoder
- MyToyRep experiments with DC motor usage on all axes
- This large forum thread is large but walks through much of RepRap's current DC servo knowledge, 2016
- Nophead's extruder tweaks mentions DC motor usage for extruders, 2010