Size of the Information Economy
Productivity and IT
Surprisingly, productivity has decreased up to 1997 and not increased as the digital age has started?
- Def of Software Developer
- 22M developers worldwide - 2017 - 
- 3.8M developers in the USA - 2016 -  (source data behind paywall)
Total IT Workers
- About 10M workers in the USA.
- 152M total labor force USA, 2016 - 
- GDP of USA is about $19T
- Salaries are abour 40% of GDP - .
- Thus - if average salary for software developers is $75k - software developers contribute $285B worth of labor. That is about 4% of GDP if adjusted for salaries being 40% of GDP.
- If we calculate software economy based on total employed population -
- USA is about 5% of world population.
- Mean household income USA - $73k , and 122M households  - for a total USA income of about $8T.
- If software developers are $285B - then they are 4% of the economy. Both figures match - we get 4% of the economy by both methods.
- If 22M software developers worldwide - that is $1.7T in earnings - or 5% of the global economy, if adjusted for share of GDP.