- A variety of cyanobacteria that is high in protien
- This leads to it being a useful addition to diets of livestock and/or humans
- Being a multicellular microrganism, it has very high yeilds per area dedicated to it's cultivation (see yeilds section)
- 10 dry gram / square meter / day theoretical maximum yield in surface ponds - .Compare to rabbit weight gain of 15 grams per day.
- At 40 kg dry mass per acre per day - this is about 15 tons of dry mass per acre. Enough to feed 60 people from one acre - or 700 square feet of horizontal space. This is using basic technology of agitated ponds, without C02 injection.
- 1 lb is 1300 calories, compared to 1 lb rabbit - 600
- Wholesale price - $50/kg
- Inexpensive nutrients such as iron nails in vinegar for soluble iron (Is this food grade?)
- 100 sq m farm produces 1 kg /day
How to Guide
- By the Father of DIY Spirulina, Jean-Paul Jourdan, Practical Guide, French -  - download - File:Spirulinafrench.pdf
- Growing Guide summary, English -  - download - File:Spirulina.pdf
- JP Jourdan recommends thin film systems for growing, and a certain strain from the Pasteur Institute - 
- Different strains are available from U. Texas - 
- Video with Author -
- Dr. Ripley Fox - Integrated Village System - biogas, fertilizer, spirulina, and fish. -