Last updated: April 5, 2012
Team Culturing Information
Tom is currently assisting in recruiting part time. Contact recruiting at opensourceecology dot org for any questions on joining the team.
WHO are you?
- Name - Tom Bamford
- Location (city, country) - whitehorse, canada
- Contact Information (email, phone, Skype) -
t (dot) bamford1 (at) gmail (dot) com,
boot5678 (at) hotmail (dot) com,
- Introductory Video -
- Resume/CV -
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
because i have not yet seen such a powerful and immediate idea for wide-spread, lasting progress.
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
the potential is immense. Re-distribute the means of production and you not only liberate people's abilities to sustain themselves, you open up new vistas of social organization, ease the pressure on the earth, and accelerate useful technological developments. the wider the scope the more it can evolve into something greater.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
I should probably come down there at some point soon. A level of involvement on Factor-e-Farm that encourages the completion of the GVCS wherever I can, whilst allowing me to "spread the seed" here and elsewhere, is what I envision.
- What are you missing in the project?
PR can, in this case, not get big enough. Networking with the right people will exponentially increase progress. Maybe a practical business model that will keep FabLab's honest? You obviously know most of this: there is nothing missing, but only places to grow.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
Next level management. I believe you're on the right track.
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
Excellent management, communications, and writing skills with plenty of experience. My networking, building, and agricultural skills are my professional grade abilities, but I have designed buildings, am good with computers, have an eye for design, and am very adapt at mechanics. Undergraduate course-work in Chemistry, Biology, and Engineering, with work experience in auto-mechanics, welding, building, CAD, PR and marketing. I have been researching/testing agricultural and natural building techniques for as long as I can remember.
- How have you already contributed to the project?
Only by telling everyone who cares to listen, but I have an idea or two for the steam engines!
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
Big question. I am interested in helping Marcin with management and PR, as well as design of buildings, tools, and farming systems. I also help to run a fairly large "green construction" company and would like to buy some equipment/start building it here. I can probably sell a lot of your equipment here.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
Yes, I will be able to support myself as a volunteer for at least a few months.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
That is also possible. prototyping may be arranged as I have talked to a few interested engineers and builders. I have a good job that I can leave for months at a time, but if I am needed for longer periods, I would consider becoming a more permanent fixture at Factor-E-Farm.
- Are you interested in Dedicated Project Visit?
Sure, but I think I would like to do more than that.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
yes. At least one life-trac/pulverizer/CEB set, and possibly much more. My Territory is in the midst of a gold rush and there is a huge demand for building and mining eqiupment. Small-scale building and mining best protects the land and that requires cheap equipment that is low-maintenance. a few native communities are also interested.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No, unfortunately I dont believe in credit cards! i'll bring you some gold if you like!
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
I certainly can, at least until the GVCS is complete.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?
Very much so.
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment - a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology - as a beacon of light to benefit of all people on Earth.
Sounds pretty good!