This CNC Router was designed to shape styrofoam and, or wax, for Casting metal machine parts.
- Lost Foam casting is by far the easiest type of casting for novist and expert alike
- It was designed to be easily constructed and have up to four axis for complex parts
- Parts can be scavenged from old dot matrix printers, scanners, and discarded storm windows
- Some parts will have to be bought from hardware stores and electronics supply stores
- It can also be considered to be a bootstrap machine that can shape parts to make itself stronger
- The stepper motors were removed from three Dot Matrix printers and are "Unipolar" 5 or more wires
- The power supply was removed from common desktop or tower PC 400 Watts is minimum for 3 Axis
- The stepper motor drivers are "Linisteppers" Designed for Unipolar stepper moters and were bought as kits from:
- However they are opensource and can be made at home if you have the skills. All files are linked on the Linistepper web page.
- Unless you buy the breakout board advertised for the Linisteppers you will have to build your own and we will supply a schematic we used to build ours.
- Eagle PCB Designing software:
- LinuxCNC The CNC part to operate the CNC-Router
- Y-Z Trolly Back Brace Mounts: Qty. 2 pieces of 1"x1"x1/8" Aluminum Angle 1-1/4" long
- Legs: Qty. 4 pieces of 1"x1" Aluminum Square Bar 4" long
- Y-Z Trolley Guide Rails: Qty. 2 pieces of 3/8"x3/8" Key Stock 20-3/4" long
- X Axis Motor Mount: Qty. 1 piece of 2-1/2"x1/4" Aluminum Square Tube 2" long
- Y Axis Motor Mount: Qty. 1 piece of 2"x1/8" Aluminum Flat 2" long
- Z Axis Motor Mount: Qty. 1 piece of 1"leg x1" back x 1/8" Aluminum Channel 2-1/2" long
- Table Top: Qty. 1 piece of 1'x2'x1/4" Aluminum Plate