WHO are you?
- Name/Nationality/Ethnicity - Víctor Cussiol Macul, Brazilian
- Location – what is your city and country? - São Carlos / SP / Brasil
- Contact Information – victormacul at gmail dot com, Skype: victor.macul
- Introductory Video-
- Resume/CV – See LinkedIn page
- Hobbies and Pastimes - Gastronomy, surf and drums
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
For sure! This is the theme of my Master thesis!
- Why are you interested in this work?
In 2012, when I was doing my Bachelor in Industrial Engineering, I saw the OSE TED video for the first time. At that point, I was really interested in the project already. On December 2012 I got the Bachelor degree and on March 2013 I started a Master on product development management at the same university - http://www.eesc.usp.br/portaleesc/en/. Last year, talking about collaborative design with my professors, I showed them Marcian's video and they loved it.
Since that day my research group (GEI2) started a new line of research in open collaborative design. Until now, a PhD student and myself are working on it. We have been collecting studies in this area and trying to get a better understand of this phenomenon. At the same time, I have been studying the OSE community, through website and wiki.
I could note that the OSE has been working to improve the development process, and that it is one of the processes of Management support system: the 'System/process Design' one. This is exactly what I want to do in my Master thesis. So, I applied to participate in the 'Summers of Extreme Design/Build' program in 2014 to get a better understand of the OSE development process and community, collect some data, and propose process improvements.
Beyond to get good results to my thesis, I personally want to get a deeper experience with design and build, to complement my knowledge in the design science.
- Are you interested in teaching about the GVCS?*
- Are you interested in economic relocalization possibilities arising from the GVCS?
- Do you want to use the GVCS technologies yourself? Do you want to build them yourself?
Yes, I'd like to help in the development of these technologies and build some of them by myself.
- Are you interested in starting up enterprise using the GVCS technologies? Are you interested in having the GVCS technologies fabricated by your local custom fabricator?
Yes, I would like to start a business using these technologies in Brasil.
- Are you interested in applying the GVCS to third world development? To redevelopment of crisis areas? To development of derelict areas in the developed world?
Yes, in Latin America, starting by Brasil.
- Are you interested in starting up Industry 2.0 flexible fabrication enterprises for your local community, by drawing from a global repository of freely down-loadable designs and fabricating using open source fabrication equipment?
- Are you interested in the potential of the GVCS for developing local food systems?
At this moment, I'm more interested in the design process than in the agriculture.
- Are you interested in doing academic studies/papers, publishing books, or doing other analysis of our efforts?
Yes. Actually, I'm already doing it.
- Are you interested in financial investment opportunities arising from our work?
Not now. Probably in the future.
- Are you interested in the distributive economic aspects of our work, and if so, how do you see this playing out?
Yes. I see the open source hardware as an instrument that provides people what they need to improve their lives by themselves.
- Are you interested in building renewable energy production facilities based on open hardware (solar concentrator electric, wind, biomass power)? Are you interested in building resilient communities based on access to the GVCS?
Yes. But I think that I have to get more experience before it.
- What have you already contributed to the OSE project? (technical contributions, blogging about us, financial support, organizing events, translations, interviews, video editing, publications, publicity work, behind-the-scenes work, CAD work, wiki contributions, computer support, etc)
I'm participating in the 'Summers of Extreme Design/Build' and working to improve the Development Process.
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
By working to improve Development Process, participating in some projects at FeF and workshops, contacting people in Brazil and disseminating the OSE in Brazilian universities. I already have some experience with Design Thinking, Business Process Management, Project Management (PMBOK and Agile) and Lean Manufacturing. As a research group (GEI2), we have experiences with:
- Sustainable product development;
- Web knowledge sharing (about product development, design and project management);
- Business process management;
- Agile project management;
- Techniques and methods for products developments and its integrated applications;
- Techniques and tools for business process modeling;
- Performance indicator;
- Information systems for project management and for product lifecycle;
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
During this summer (2014), I'm working 40 hours per week.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
Not right now.
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
No, because now, I'm paying to participate in the 'Summers of Extreme Design/Build', and expenditures on travel and documents to come to USA. After this summer, I have plans to become a True Fan.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
For a while.
- Are you interested in using the technologies that we are developing directly?