XM Conceptual Design
Conceptual design is a representation of the product with realistic arrangement and dimensioning of components - as informed in general by OSE Specifications. The distinction between a Conceptual Design and a Technical Design is that the Technical Design specifies exact dimensions, tolerances, and materials used - whereas the conceptual design specifies approximate dimensions, and it may not include tolerances and materials. A conceptual design is not a reliable representation that allows a product to be built successfully, whereas Technical Design does produce exact and replicable builds.
Conceptual design is not media-specific. The conceptual design may take the form of 3D computer models, concept design in a full CAD package, a wooden model, or it could be as simple as drawings on the back of an envelope.
In the next step, the Specification, these priciples are converted to desired performance specifications - for a single (but flexible) instance of the device. Everything looks good on paper so far.
- Read Refactored OSE Specifications
- Pursuant to OSE Specifications, calculate power requirements
- Define size/scale/performance of the machine
- Motivate your design for low cost
- Motivate your design for performance
- Motivate your design for accuracy requirements
- Motivate your design for ease of fabrication##Define components of a technology
- Define relationships between components
- Research open source prior art available for the design
- Publish open source prior art available for the design
- Define the relevance/adaptations required for the open source prior art to fit OSE Specifications
- Develop the required adaptations of OS prior art and implement that in the design at hand
- Specify other options available for implementation
- Specify a specific instance suitable for prototyping
- Draw an editable diagram of the specific instance
- Populate a Task Management Platform with the above components that need to be developed
- Recruit developers to execute and add tasks to the basic platform.
- Promote active developers of the project to Project Leader Status. In conjunction with the GVCS Project Curator, this is the leading stakeholder in the project who has a direct interest in developing or using the technology; main overseer of physical project development and fabrication, and works with GVCS Project Curator on quality control for adherence to OSE Specifications