There are 2 main casting methods, each about 40% of all casting processes: greensand and no-bake molding. No-bake uses binders that set.
- Comprehensive diagram of all casting types - . MIG Casting is not included. Binders can be clay, chemically setting binders, and polymerized oils (motor oil)
- Nobake (airset or precision sand) casting - use a binder with sand. 
- Types of binders - 
- K-bond- the open source oil sand - , hint from . Another link to PDF of formula - . See Definitive Article on K-Bond.
- Petrobond - good for novices - 
- Ebay - 5 lb - $20 - 
- More about oil-bonded sand formulas - 
- Commercial airset sand casting - 
- One here, includes oil and bentonite -