How to Build the 4 Machines in a Basic Workshop
A basic workshop - which allows for the production of many GVCS machines - but which is not sufficient for Extreme Manufacturing rapid builds - includes these tools:
- MIG Welder - 200 amps - $1000 used
- Acetylene Torch - $500
- Magnetic Drill - $385
- 15 Amp and 5 Amp grinders - $80
- Abrasive 14" metal cutoff saw - $150
and other hand tools such as C clamps, vise clamps, a vise, hammers, wrenches, allen wrenches, pipe wrenches, holding magnets, speed square, L angle, measuring tape, soapstone marker, and others.
For about a $2,100 investment in the above tools - one has sufficient tooling to build the entire tractor, CEB press, Pulverizer, and Power Cube. The only part not covered is about 2-4 hours of lathe work to produce tractor wheel shaft couplers. Otherwise, all else is obtained by cutting, drilling, and welding of stock steel metal sections. Simplicity of design allows one to build serious equipment with minimal effort. Skill is required - but that skill can be picked up when one really wants to do the work.
If one has access to a CNC Torch Table, Ironworker Machine, metal band saw - then the cutting and hole-making could go much faster - but for one-off production, the 5 main tools + hand tools above are sufficient.
Basic Advanced Workshop
A basic advanced workshop - which allows for the production of many GVCS machines - which also features the efficiency required for Extreme Manufacturing rapid builds - contains these 7 tools:
- CNC Torch Table for cutting steel parts - $12k off-shelf - $1500 OSE
- 120 Ton Ironworker machine for rapid shearing and hole punching of 1" thick metal - $21k off-shelf - $1600 OSE (hole punch only)
- CNC Mill - $17k used off shelf - $4k OSE
- CNC Lathe - $15k used off shelf - $4k OSE after CNC addition
- Heavy Duty Drill Press (2" hole drilling capacity) - $10k off shelf - $600 OSE
- 200 Amp MIG Welder - $2k off shelf - $500 OSE
- Acetylene Torch - $400 off shelf
- $77,400 off shelf + maintenance costs of the same about every 10 years; for a lifetime (20 yr) enterprise, the cost doubles.
- $14,100 OSE cost pending development of these tools + lifetime service, as people can maintain their own machines.
Advanced Basic Workshop
- Add a 3D Metal Printer (MIG welder on Universal Axis gantry]]
- Add 3D Printer with plastic recycling infrastructure for large scale printing in rubber and plastic
- Rubber tracks
- Construction materials
- Water motors, wind turbines
- Arduino + Universal Controller for automation and remote control of solenoids.
This would allow one to build all the above tools (self-replication), plus things like tractors, microtractors (lawnmowers), pelletizers to have people harvest their own fuel from grass clippings; cars; engines, hydraulic motors, and other things from open plans, using CNC assist. The predicted value of labor captured is $100 per hour, or a total return of $16k/person/month with 8 hour shifts in a 1000 sq foot workshop.
Make a 4000 square foot workshop to accommodate 4 people, and you have $64k/month earning capacity with 4 people.
Such earning depends on the full product release plans for all devices, and implies transcendence of artificial material scarcity in communities worldwide.
So, you want to build a new civilization?
The best way to do it is to do it. There is no magic. If you see the purpose in this course of action, all you need to do is spend $2.5k, quit your job, and start building. After a few hours of practice, you will gain basic proficiency in torching and welding. If you want to become a master, it will take you a lifetime.
Back to Table of Contents