What Is It
Learning across many disciplines, viewpoints, mental models, timeframes, and cultures to get a wholistic perspective on a topic, and to provide more complete and speedy learning. This is essentual to the Collaborative Creation of Genius. A community that practices integrated learning may be called an Open Source Genius Network. Open source because Authentic Learning cannot happen unless information is open, ie, first-class and not Second Best.
Infrastructure for Rapid Learning
Given the right learning environment, an individual can learn 10x more than in traditional school. Imagine learning construction, electronics, electrician, plumbing, automation, machine operation, surveying, edible landscaping, PV installation, hydraulics, mechanics, soil engineering - in the time it takes to learn one of these disciplines. And, on an accelerated schedule of 2 years instead of 8 years to gain the highest pay in the industry. Imagine getting 10 PhDs in one's life instead of one. Imagine learning all of technology, not one specialty. Imagine knowing multiple disciplines - for example not just the trades, but science, engineering, design, philosophy, history, law, economics, organizational studies, psychology, medicine, computer science, art, and theater. Etc. Would one be more well-rounded, or a renaissance person? Or just an Open Source Ecologist? There are several keys to this environment. It's an experiment.
- Quality - quality of the material must be high. Clear, unobfuscated, logical, essential, perspective, etc. Khan Academy does well at this.
- Created Digital Environment - such as a specific software distribution (such as OSE Linux), with preloaded software. Zero time waste is materials access. Includes libraries of designs, algorithms.
- Algorithms - formulas, calculations, algorithms, relevant natural or logical or other laws. These are available in the digital environment.
- Physical Environment - you have a gym, a practice facility, a working enterprise, a learning lab with prepared modules for building. Somehow a way that uses the body and hands to actually do what you are studying.
- Multimedia - digital, written, physical (machines, builds, tools, building blocks)
- Hands-on - you actually do it or build it or otherwise engage directly with what you study
- Enterprise - it ain't nothin unless it is easy for others to use - as consumer products, or a way to disseminate the thing for one's livelihood. Short of this, learning will be incomplete as it remains private.
- Modular - focusing on Contract-First Design, well-developed modules that are plugged together readily to create new things. Like for example a tractor construction set, or a set of modules that can be built rapidly in any configuration. Such as a Ziggurat of Solar Cubicles - a city for 100 people that can be built from the Seed Eco-Home modules- rapidly. Such as this tiny 12x16 modules.such a structure is 22 modules each, or 2 hour build with a team of one dozen. Can be disassembled readily.
- Integrated - physical, digital, and cross-sector. Combine production machines, materials, biology, machines, software distribution, simulation, calculation/design/CAD, electronics, logic, AI, robotics, computer vision, internet servers, autonomous or human-guided control, renewable energy, modularity, education materials, augmented reality, MMOG, MOOC, school, trade school, PhD program, CNC manufacturing, robotic manufacturing, local materials, 3D printing bring, enterprise development, solar energy, cell phone app, software, and eventually microchips to run this. Materials production machines to make this abundant. Cost structure allows BOAB pending immersion education.
- Library - both a library of background, history, and seminal books - and digital libraries of parts, modules, icons, and other assets for design facilitation.
- Software for design - Workbenches in FreeCAD. Other customization/design software.
- MOOC - going from CAD assets, further.
- Mission control - autopilots and motion programming, up to complete process automation, logistics, site work. Using vehicles, robots, actuators, sensors, and other devices.
- Renewable energy - must not waste the environment if education will be non-violent. Thus, solar provides electricity, cooking, space heat, process energy. Without this, society society collapses on earth unless it goes Kardashev>1