Microhouse Prototype Assessment
See Prototype Assessment for template
For October 09, 2013 Meeting - see Microhouse Prototype Assessment Google Doc
- Describe the steps taken in the design process. What went well in the design phase? What could have been done better?
- Were there steps that should have been taken but were missing? Were there steps that were taken that should have been omitted? Explain.
- What review/quality assessment steps were taken throughout the design phase?
- What lessons were learned regarding the design after the machine was built?
- Describe what the ideal design process should look like.
- Estimate the materials cost reduction that can be attained by redesign, simplification, and design optimization.
- Describe the steps taken to prepare for the build.
- Were you satisfied with the build preparation phase?
- What were the issues that were encountered? How were they resolved?
- Were the fabrication procedures satisfactory? What improvements could be made?
- Discuss how you would like the ideal fabrication procedures/drawings to look like.
- Describe how the ideal build preparation phase should look.
- Discuss any inventory/supplies that were difficult to acquire, and how this could be facilitated.
- Were there missing parts that were not accounted for until they were needed in a certain build step? What are the resulting additions to the BOM?
- Which build procedures were changed due to learnings obtained during the build?
- Which steps were missed in the build procedure documentation?
- What worked as planned regarding the build? What didn't work as planned?
- Describe the overall build sequence for the modules. Which modules/parts were built in parallel? What could have been improved about the sequence?
- Discuss the bottlenecks encountered in building the modules and assembling the different modules to each other.
- Discuss the bottlenecks encountered in assembling the hydraulics.
- Describe the most challenging aspect of the build.
- Describe any aspects that appeared easy but were not easy in practice.
- How many person hours should each of the above steps take? How many person hours did each step take in practice?
- If more skilled people were available, which additional steps could have been done in parallel?
- Were people utilized effectively throughout the build? How could they have been used more effectively?
- What quality control steps were taken throughout the build to assure build quality?
- List the consumables used throughout the build. Were any consumables missing?
- Were any necessary tools missing? What additional tools would be useful in the build?
- Was there any tool breakage? How could it have been avoided?
Quality Assessment and Performance Data
- What corrective measures were taken to address quality control issues?
- Did the machine attain practical functionality? Ie, is it usable? Are critical performance features missing?
- Were some parts too big or too small?
- Did any parts or modules have to be modified to fit properly? Explain the modifications that were required.
- What design changes and additions should be made for the next iteration of a build?
- Did the machine have the expected power or performance?
- What things had to be modified between the CAD model and the actual build?
- Which missing design features were added during the build that were not part of the CAD model?
- What features/changes are required to make the machine functionally equivalent to industry standards?
- In what ways does the machine or can the machine be made to exceed industry standards?
- Does the steering and ground-hugging work?
- Did all the parts fit together as expected? If not, please explain.
- Were sharp edges and exposed rough torching areas ground down with a grinder?
- Do all pins have a head on one side and a cotter pin on the other?
Welding and Fasteners
- Discuss any welds that failed inspection.
- Did all the bolts fit as expected? If not, pleas explain what prevented them from fitting.
- Did any bolt lengths have to be modified? Please explain.
- Did any hydraulic fittings or hoses leak? How was this corrected?
- Did all motors and cylinders work?
- Were the correct fittings used? Which fittings should be replaced?
- Were there any fittings that did not work and had to be modified?
- Were there any cylinder tabs that had to be modified because
- What are the machine dimensions?
- What is the machine weight?
- What is the engine horsepower?
- What is the estimated hydraulic fluid horsepower? How was it calculated?
- What are the pressure relief settings for all the cylinders, motors, and valves?
- What is the lifting force of the loader?
- What is the speed of the vehicle at full power?
- What is the RPM of the wheel motors at full power?
- What is the hydraulic fluid flow rate calculation?
- What is the engine and pump RPM?
- What is the pump GPM?
- What is the traction force of the vehicle?
- What is the bending angle of the articulation?
- What is the height reach of the loader bucket edge at 60 degree dump angle?
- Was the performance data satisfactory? What improvements should be made?
- How many hours or days did the build take?
- Did you see any safety violations throughout the build?
- Were there any accidents? If so, how could they have been avoided?
- Describe your general level of satisfaction with the overall design/build and the resulting quality of the product.
- How was morale throughout the build?
- Were any conflicts encountered throughout the design/build regarding technical issues? How were these resolved?
- Discuss any personality/cultural conflicts that were encountered? How could these be addressed in the future?
- What are the overall lessons learned for improving future builds?
- Any other comments or pressing issues not covered in this assessment?
- What changes would you like to see in this assessment? Are the questions relevant? Are there glaring omissions?