OSE Governance/Executive Director
Any organization the size of OSE needs an Executive Director. Currently, Marcin Jakubowski serves as the de-facto director of OSE. The following material are suggestions on the duties and responsibilities of an executive director.
The Executive Director will lead, cultivate and facilitate the OSE community, providing leadership to best meet the needs of the entire community and its constituent projects, and growing the participation in, and effectiveness of the community.
The Executive Director is the chief operating officer of the OSE Foundation, and will allocate the Foundation resources (budget and staff) based on goals set by the Foundation Board. He or she will represent the foundation publicly and in business negotiations.
Much of this material was drawn from File:Kuali-Executive-Director-Position-Description.pdf supplied by Jennifer Foutty, Executive Director of the Kuali Project, a US 501-c3 corporation devoted to developing open source financial software for institutions of higher education. This multi-million dollar effort was started in 2005 and involves many participating universities and hundreds of contributors. Additional material was drawn from File:Sakai-Ed-Job-Description.pdf. Sakai is also a large open source software project focused on developing learning and course management systems. Sakai is used by over 1 million students worldwide.
- Strategic Planning and Roadmaps
- Prioritize Projects
- Community Engagement and Development
- Preserve the OSE Image and Brand
- Technology Development
- Lead the GVCS Development Effort
- Operational Management
- Project Managers
- Fund Raising
- Individual Contributors (True Fans)
- Large Contributions
- Grants and Prizes
- Other Programs like the OSE Game
- Planning Processes
- Ability to lead, plan, and support a technically oriented organization.
- Management skills and ability to lead, motivate, and direct a professional and technical staff.
- Subject matter expertise
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to resolve conflicts.
- Experience in technology leadership.
- Advanced degree.