OSE follows principles of collaborative, transparent, inclusive abundance. This may sound simple, but the previous qualities are far reaching. OSE also proposes these principles as the complete constitution for any country, or for any region of Swarm Governance.
OSE is currently run as a Meritocracy under the direction of Marcin Jakubowski. One must make the distinction between the goverance of OSE the corporation (Board of Directors) and the technical leadership of projects. Under all of OSE's work lie OSE Specifications. Since the project is modular - any team leader who follows OSE specifications, inclusing Collaborative Literacy - can assume leadership of effort on any of the GVCS machines, 500 Modules, or any other endeavors. The governance structure revolves around the completion of the GVCS 50 tools by 2028, with the following requirements:
- OSE Roadmap - involves a prioritized and strategic rollout that is negotiable only by the Board of Directors, with decisions influenced by OSE Advisors. Yearly Critical Paths are drafted.
- The primary activity of OSE is R&D&E - Open source product Research and Development and Education.
- Distinctions are made between 4 units of OSE operations:
- OSE Inc, the corporate entity that is a container for OSE activity;
- the community - OSE global, collaborative, open source appropriate technology R&D;
- Facility operations at the OSE Headquarters or other campuses;
- and its revenue-generating enterprises (in the nonprofit sector) - XM Workshops, kit production, training, immersion workshops, swag, and other
- Anyone is welcome to develop and document GVCS or related products on the OSE Wiki, which is openly editable.
- All contributions to the wiki are open source according to the OSE License.
- Product and strategy must comply with OSE Spec, and can be evaluated by the OSE Spec Score. Compliance with Product Ecologies further specifies the development path. It should be specified that the greatest governance risk is assuring compliance with OSE Spec and Product Ecologies. The reason for OSE Spec and Product Ecologies is to create a minimum, lowest cost set that still meets or exceeds industry standards - but does so at a theoretically achievable 100-1000 lower cost. The lower cost is achieved by open source (10x cost reduction), lifetime design (10x lower cost), and Modularity/Product Ecologies (10x). Open source, lifetime, modular design is the critical value proposition of OSE.
- OSE encourages and enables, and produces infrastructure for Distributive Enterprise organization - OSE gives other orgs the tools to compete with OSE
- OSE community is a meritocracy. OSE the corporation follows the usual org chart of an organization or company. Merit is gained by involvement in the core development process and by certification. OSE Certification can occur as a Development Team member, an OSE Fellow, or a producer using the OSE brand. Specific license agreements for using the OSE brand are crafted on an individual basis.
- OSE Org Chart defines roles. Current filled roles are the BDFL, CTO, Graphics Lead, Community Manager, and Power Cube Lead. See Team
- OSE Fellows are the highest status of developer at OSE as a full time role. Fellows do R&D on the Critical Path, and work together with the CTO on product development, as verified by the ability to generate revenue via Extreme Manufacturing Workshops.
- CTO and Fellows make collaborative decisions on specifics of products, where products comply with the Roadmap, Critical Path, and OSE Spec. Simple majority determines specifics of product instances, with CTO and Fellows having one vote each.
- Fellows make a quarterly individual product release, with Product Release added to the Critical Path.
- Fellows may tap OSE Developers and SMEs for assistance in their Product Release Schedule.
- Product Releases are tracked via the Simple Development Template with 100% marking complete burndown
- CFO makes funding decisions. Fellows can submit research budgets for approval by CTO. CTO evaluates proposals based on OSE Spec. Fellows get funding based on revenue they generate from workshops such that money comes from "their pot," thus preventing "freeloaders" who take without putting in. Fellows must be in Good Standing
- OSE Developers are official part time developers. OSE Developers may submit requests to the CTO for resource support in their prototyping tasks if they are in Good Standing.
- The OSE Immersion Program is designed to train both OSE Fellows who receive a monthly stipend and Independent Collaborators, who collaborate with OSE on a contractual basis.
- Contributions to the project are voluntary. OSE does not have external funding, but generates revenue through its activities. See OSE_Financial_Transparency for financial reporting.
- A road map is publish every year by OSE's executive director.
- OSE Fellows are being trained for leadership positions to influence this direction.
- All product design follows OSE specifications. Any changes in requirements have to pass through an evaluation of the OSE specifications score.
- Anyone is welcome to develop any existing project or start forks of projects. The accepted route to documentation is to use the OSE Development Template for new designs and builds. The wiki is freely editable for anyone to contribute in this fashion.
There were historically several forks of OSE: