OSE STEM Camps
OSE STEM Camps
Extended consultation has led to the concept of the OSE STEM Camp. These camps may take place at Factor e Farm or in remote locations. Topics from the following list may be selected, mixed and matched to the audience as required. June, 2019 is the target date for the first FeF STEM camp.
OSE STEM Camp Curriculum - Rationale
The following menu of STEM Camp activities is inspired by the vision of the Open Source Microfactory - a set of technology and human capabilities that combine to make the desktop manufacturing of high quality products and devices possible and affordable. Tools in the desktop manufacturing toolset include 3D printers, 3D scanners, Laser cutters, Circuit makers. They allow for the knowledge base required to manufacture numerous household products to be developed within a community. We envision that communities all around the world will soon be able to create their own cordless drills, electric motors, circuit boards and many other devices, all built in a modular fashion so that they may be upgraded instead of discarded. Students from grades 7 to 12 (and post-secondary) may benefit from this curriculum as it is flexible and elements of the entire curriculum may be adopted to students of different intellectual levels and of different language levels.
OSE STEM Camp Menu
Curricular Menu: Rather than focus on a one-size-fits-all uniform outcomes approach prevalent in the "education" sector, it is proposed that the OSE STEM Camps focus on the development of interdisciplinary teams and allow participants to gain intellectual independence. Students may practice research skills, learn how to check component specifications, learn the art of thinking, set their own goals and schedules, self-organize around storyboards of tasks, support each other in the learning process and have differentiated outcomes that provide for individual and group learning plans. In this curricular approach, set timelines are flexible, problems are open-ended, the curriculum is merely a menu to which the collaborators refer but do not necessarily follow closely, the collaborators are constantly in the process of generating new curricular elements and local context / group context figures heavily in the "lesson planning" . Using this approach, students often take on teaching roles in a relatively short time; with students acting as teachers, there is a lot more learning going on.
The following are 45 minute class modules, except where noted.
- The OSE Philosophy and Approach - Why did Marcin start Open Source Ecology? What is the significance of Open-Sourcing humanity's tool chain? How will it contribute to the creation of a peaceful and just global civilization? What is the strategy moving forward? 1 hour introduction to the big picture and roadmap of Open Source Ecology.
- Collaborative Literacy -
- Collaboration Platforms - Participants sign up for and use a variety of collaboration platforms such as Jitsi / Google Docs / Mediawiki, etc., learning the basics of online collaboration. This session also covers the basics of Wiki typesetting, working with images and links, keeping a log and logging hours. - 1 hour
- OSE Collaborative Contest. Want to put together a team that will change the world? Gather students, peers, collaborators, seniors, willing participants in schools, makerspaces, universities, villages and communities to participate in the OSE competition. This session is designed to prepare OSE Contest mentors or participants to successfully participate in the contest.
- OSE Labs Boostrap - Want to develop an OSE Labs site in your community? This week long preparation camp will provide the necessary background information, specifications of an OSE Makerspace featuring the Microfactory, funding models, advice on finding clients and guidelines for business operations.
- The Integrated Human - A one day retreat with a focus on the human side of Open Source Ecology.
- Mind body and spirit are in balance
- Commitment to the vision of a peaceful and just global society
- Acceleration of learning through connection to purpose and community
- How to activate the creativity and power of the mind through the arts.
- Diet, exercise, handling stress
- The power of the human mind and spirit.
- Arduino - This is the quintessential device that brought us into the age of Open Source Hardware. What is it and how is it used to power various devices from sensors to brick presses. The Arduino is the bread and butter of the open source hardware enthusiast.
- Basic - sensors, actuators, voltage splitter circuits - 1 day
- Advanced Arduino Techniques - timing, frequency, interrupts, communication with other devices - 1 day
- Raspberry Pi A computer the size of a pack of cards - compact and powerful. Perfect for robotics applications.
- Linux Operating System / OSE Linux A collection of open source software specially selected for Open Source Ecology collaborators.
- OSE FreeCAD - 1 Hour Crash Course on the OSE Workflow that brings the user up to basic functional proficiency in FreeCAD related to OSE development. We will learn to design parts using the Sketcher-Extruder-Sketcher method of creating geometries, converting them to 3D - and further modifying geometries to create complex 3D shapes. This allows for the creation of most OSE part library parts. See FreeCAD_101#Lesson_3:_OSE_Basic_Workflow_Tutorial.
- Sweet Home 3D
- 3D Printing - 2 day introduction
- 3D Printer Assembly - Assemble the OSE 3D printer from frame to extruder, learning the key components and their inter-operation along the way - 1 day
- 3D Printer Configuration - Learn how to adjust the on-board settings of the 3D printer such as homing, z axis tweaking and the like Learn how to prepare models for printing by arranging them on the print bed, resizing them and slicing using Lulzbot Cura. Print out some simple models, noting such factors as print speed, bed adhesion, support structures and print resolution - 1 day
- Oscilloscopes - 1 day introduction to theory and operation of oscilloscopes.
- Acquiring a good oscilloscope
- Towards an open source industrial grade oscilloscope?. Processing Oscilloscope.
- Motors and Motor Controller Systems
- Theory of motors and motor controllers - brushless motors,
- RAMPS / Pololu
- MOSFETS - how they work - pins ,function, simple MOSFET circuits
- ESCs - timing chips, MOSFET coordination, heat dissipation, etc.
- Soldering and Electronic Prototyping - 1 day
- Soldering Iron
- SMD Soldering
- Sourcing parts from electronics websites
- Circuitboard Etching
- Circuit board milling with the D3D CNC Circuit Mill
- Power Electronics - 1 day
- Mathematics of Power Electronics
- Power Inverters
- Solar Panel Assembly and Power Systems
- Hydraulic Systems
- Laser Cutting - 1 day introduction to laser cutting as a key component of the microfactory
- Laser Theory
- Safety - ventilation / eye protection / safety procedures / safety barriers / laser cutting by-products / fire hazards / etc.
- Laser cutter toolchains
- Open Building Institute
- Home architecture
- Home construction
- Extreme Builds
- CNC Torch Table
- Brick Press