OSE Specifications Metric Score
The questionnaire below can be used to determine whether a product meets the OSE specifications. Each question counts as 1 or 0 depending on a positive or negative answer. There are 45 questions. The score is communicated on a scale of 0-100 in percent units by taking the tallied score, dividing by 45, and multiplying by 100.
- 1 Economic Significance
- 2 Distributive Economics
- 3 Transformative Nature of Enterprise
- 4 Systems Design
- 5 Ecology
- 6 Development Process
- 7 Simplicity of design
- 8 Design for scalability
- 9 Localization
- 10 Economic Feasibility and Replicability
- 11 Product Evolution
- 12 Fabrication Facilities
- 13 Open Business Model
- 14 Open Documentation
- 15 Distributive Enterprise Assistance
- 16 Links
- Is it relevant for meeting the material needs of humans?
- Does the economic model distribute economic power? Please see Distributive Enterprise and Viral Replicability Criteria.
Transformative Nature of Enterprise
- Does it promote community and global resilience?
- Does it consider the complete human and natural ecosystem?
- Is it good for the environment?
- Does the machine fit other OSE Product Ecologies?
- Is participation in the process entirely voluntary?
- Can anyone join or leave the development group at any time?
- Does the collaborative development process utilize the input of diverse stakeholders?
- Are the steps and results of the development process documented?
Simplicity of design
- Is it low Cost?
- Does it have Long Life?
- Is it modular?
- Is it designed for disassembly?
Design for scalability
- Can it be scaled up?
- Can it be scaled down?
- Is it easily scalable?
- Are materials used in production local?
- Is raw material production local?
- Is product production local?
- Is the machinery used in production process open source?
- Is the machinery used in production process locally fabricated?
Economic Feasibility and Replicability
- Is there minimal overhead requirements for production?
- Is there minimal waste?
- Are R&D costs shared by a number of stakeholders?
- Does documentation exist to facilitate replication?
- Are production facilities funded by a stakeholder community?
- Is there continual product development?
- Is there a user community?
- Do flexible fabrication facilities or open source microfactories exist for producing the given product?
- Is there a way in which an interested individual can participate in a sweat equity, learn-as-you-go production run?
Open Business Model
- Is there a Business Plan?
- Are enabling technical details available in the business plan?
- Is content Open Source?
- Is content readily accessible (downloadable)?
- Are there design drawings?
- Are design drawings available in open source CAD?
- Are fabrication procedures detailed?
- Is economic analysis available?
- Is ergonomic analysis available?
Bill of Materials (BOM)
- Is there a parts list?
- Is Sourcing of parts listed?
- Are prices of parts listed?
Distributive Enterprise Assistance
- Is producer training available?
- Is startup assistance available?