OSE Specifications for Product Design
To assess the technological design features of OSE Specifications, these are the most important:
- Designed as a Product Ecology - at the component, module, and machine level. This means any single machine is being design with consideration of fitting in the overall set, not as a single machine. The intent here is that we are testing the feasibility of the entire package being managed (capable of being built from scrap steel in 50 days with 4 skilled people and 12 apprentices and repaired/maintained at no more than 300 hours per year). This is a serious quantitative milestone that will be developed as the set grows.
- Lifetime Design. Achieved by: bolt-together, Space Frame construction; modularity - allows new functions to come from machine, extending range of service; simplicity, transparency, and serviceability - user is in control and user can take responsibility for maintaining the machine in good shape; scalability - allows machine to grow/shrink with needs.
- Design for Scalability. Intensive and Extensive Scalability. Includes stackability via easy interface design. Machines should be designed to allow infinite scalability. Ex. Power cube can be built using the same structural frame in sizes from 5 hp to 200 hp, and these can be stacked in parallel or siries.
- Modular Design. Involves clear interface design. Quick-coupled hydraulics and bolt-together space frames facilitate this. Modularity can occur on the component level as well, with the Stock Tubing and Stock Pivot Plates. Same PTO motor drives Open Source Car and agricultural implements.
- Design for Fabrication. Design for minimal fabrication requirements. Design for common parts. Design for production of multiple, stock, identical components - like Legos and erector set.
- Simplicity. Minimal parts count. Maximum redundancy of part types.
- Low cost. Off-shelf parts. Minimum machining.
- High Performance. Meeting or exceeding industry standards - as defined in GVCS Comparison to Industry Standards. Overbuild with Space Frames.
- Efficiency. OSE efficiency is measured on global performance (based on regenerative economic development as the goal) as opposed to point performance
- Product Ecology - Machine fit as part of a greater product ecology - on the component level, module level, and machine level.
Each of the above will be rated from 1-10 and the result summed to get an overall % score.
The development process itself follows:
- Lifetime Design - allows for constant and permanent development and evolution of process
- Scalability of Development - allows many modules to be developed at one time under the guidance of a development team
- Scalability of Projects - Ability to create new development projects readily
- Parallel Development - allows different steps in a given product or module to be taken on at the same time (in parallel)
- Test-Driven Design
- Module-Based Design - Breakdown into bitesize chunks is possible. This can be done by starting new development pages for each submodule. Promotes scalability and parallel development
- Module-Based Design 2 - Ability to handle Modules and Machines as units of development
- Ability to update development readily
- Trackability - Organization of project enables the stakeholder team track development to make this development efficient.
- Agility 1. Ability to absorb new developers and expand as resources allow (agility)
- Agility 2. Ability to course-correct pending new developments (agile development)
- Process Interoperability Equivalent of Interface Design for hardware (Contract-First Manufacturing) - but for processes. This means that the various aspects of the development process are integrated with others (development per se works with recruiting process, works with documentation process, works with resource acquisition, etc)
In general, when designing machines - one must ask - is a process critical to successful deployment of a technology - consistent with [product ecology - modularity - simplicity] - focusing on [radical collaboration - transparency - review - strategic collaboration] - while documenting [BOM - CAD file - Overview Fab Drawings - Fab Drawings - Fabrication Diagram + Master Index + Fab Procedure Pictures + Fab Video + Quality Control Checklist + Hydraulic Diagrams + Electrical Diagrams + Code] towards perfecting the GVCS within 2 years - while creating a methodology for this development?
- Use OSE Specifications Assessment Template to rate and quantify the level of adherence to OSE Specifications.