'Note- page needs updating.
Recently, the project has been growing significantly, so standards definition is gaining in importance.
OSE Founder proposes the following strategy for replication/branding/identity for open hardware development under the OSE label:
- Develop standards for the meaning of Open Source Ecology operations
- Refactoring OSE Specifications to human readable form
- Get advice from flossfoundations.org as the closest allied organization for identity/standards creation,
- Integrate with GitHub as a hardware repository for commits, including developing web-3D viewing and 3D diffs for hardware designs
- Evolve development standards to these required elements:
- Technical development: SEBD, Conceptual Drawings, Design Rationale, Fabrication Procedure, Fabrication Drawings, BOM, Sourcing, CAD, Exploded Part Diagram, CAM files, Toolchain Specifications, Instructional Video, Test Results - to GitHub repository. Official commits approved by Project Leaders and Project Director. Project Curator approves all Project Leaders
- Development Process Streamlining: Recruiting OSE Spec Review - scoring a particular approach, after clarifying score methodology (based on OSE Specifications, applied to a particular product; Testing; Iteration
- Define the OSE License for physical products
OSE follows these goals:
- Development of the GVCS, a minimal yet robust infrastructure platform for a complete economy, according to OSE Specifications by year-end 2012
- Development of the first prototype community of 200 people to demonstrate the feasibility of a post-scarcity economy based on the GVCS, by year-end 2014
- Viral self-replication by year-end 2016
To protect the identity of OSE from corruption, a trademark upon OSE has been suggested. While OSE is an open source project, a trademark would give legal protection to the OSE brand so that someone does not corrupt the identity.
The suggested model of governance is a Chain of Command, Nonexclusive, Meritocracy.
OSE Entities, Chapters, Branches
What does an OSE Facility/Operation, Affiliate, Developer, User Group mean? These are the requirements for any group to call itself an 'OSE' group:
- Adherence to the OSE Mission
- Setting up of a Charter, to be approved by founder of OSE as an officially endorsed OSE group
The main OSE initiative is the OSE Developer group. Another one is a User Group: group that uses GVCS tools and has an approved charter. A fork is a group that uses the GVCS or derivatives, but does not hold an approved charter.
OSE Development Group: Facility/Branch/Chapter/Production Facility/Developer/Ally
An OSE Development Group does the following:
Phase 1: Until 2013 - Engages actively in the development of GVCS Technologies
Phase 2: After 2013 - Engages actively in the construction of a real economy based on GVCS Technologies
An OSE Group, to gain that title, must:
- Allocate resources to GVCS development
- OSE Director sets development and allocation priorities
- Board of Advisors, appointed by the Director, advises Director on allocation decisions
- Phase 1: All allocation decisions are made by Director to further the development of the GVCS
- Phase 2: OSE entities begin controlling allocation for prototyping of Phase 2 goals in their respective locations
- Charter may be revoked at any time for misconduct
An OSE Producer follows another contract, to be defined on a case-by-case basis.
OSE License Strategy
- No restrictions on use
- OSE Label - only to those who follow OSE Specifications and commit improvements to the commonwealth
- OSE License - not legal but effectively legal
- Free to produce commercially under own label, with attribution
- 5% tithe to produce under OSE Label, where funding is used to create further documentation (evolving instructional and training materials for rapid learning) and develop standards
- Fabricator certification required to produce under OSE Label