One Day Design Challenge
Last year, we have shown on December 18 that we can build our GVCS machines in a single day.
This year, our goal is to show that we can design a single complex machine - in One Day.
The question is - what is a success? It is making major improvements on an existing design (such as thorough redesign based on test-driven design of a former prototype) or starting a complete design from scratch.
We will try this until we succeed.
Planned and Potential Events
- Design Sprint at The Feast conference - planned
- Design Sprint around the time of the 2013 Open Source Hardware Summit
- Human Potential event akin to Red Bull Creation
- Super Design Sprint in collaboration with Hardi Meybaum of GrabCAD
- Super Design Sprint in collaboration with Kaustuv Biswas of Sunglass
- NYC hackathon co-organized by Jordan Phoenix
High-interest projects that lend themselves well to such an event include a design iteration of:
- 50 kW Wind Turbine - everyone loves wind power, especially if we make it cost effective
- Hydrafabber - a portable 3D printer-laser cutter-CNC Circuit Mill for rapid prototyping.
- Solar Concentrator - how about a thermoelectric solar generator? Solar electricity for everyone.
- Industrial Robot - industrial duty, kinematic-programmable robot
- Power Electronics Construction Set - make your own welder, plasma cutter, induction furnace, charger, laser cutter power supply, electric car controller, etc. Geeky but powerful.