- Conversion of Electricity (ie power) to Animal Feed or Food
- Essentially making marmite/vegemite from hydrogen/syngas/methane eating microbes, can be fed to animals or used as is
- Also microbes can be genetically modified to produce flavor chemicals such as Capcasin etc ( The Thought Emporium has some great videos on this)
- Things such as protien powder, sugar, or agar could also be made this way
- Plant Factories do this to a certain extent as well
- Could also be used as Biomass, but the efficiency/losses/utility in doing so seem unreasonable in most cases? (need to look into this, things like complex hydrocarbons maybe)
- A Paper on the Concept
- The Wikipedia Page on Methylococcus capsulatus, a methanotroph used commercially to produce animal feed from non-renewable methane (ie standard "Natural Gas" )
- A Bacteria , Melaleuca quinquenervia , that feeds off of methane emitted by trees
- A 1990 Study Titled "Hydrogen-Oxidizing Bacteria for Biomass Production"
- A 2021 Study Titled "Photovoltaic-driven microbial protein production can use land and sunlight more efficiently than conventional crops"
- A Video by the YouTube Channel "Freethink" Titled "The secret lab making the most sustainable food in the world | Just Might Work by Freethink"
- Surface level kind of clickbait-ey video, but well made and mentions neat stuff, the company is Solar Foods based in Finland (essentially making Protien Powder for use in recipes / Engineered Meat Substitutes or whatever )