This page will document OSE's attempts to protect trees planted at FeF from threats that may otherwise kill the trees
In May 2018, Michael made & laid 66 of these over the period totaling about 10 hours.
These wire mesh screen protectors were installed as follows:
- Walk along the key lines to find the baby walnut trees through the weeds
- After positive identification, construct a wire mesh circle by cutting a length of wire mesh about a cubit in length
- Make the wire mesh into a cylindar using a length of wire about a half cubit in length
- A foot-long PVC pipe is driven into the ground as a stake as far away from the hazelnut's rootball as possible, as is allowed by the diameter of the wire mesh protector
- The wire mesh protector is connected to the PVC pipe stake by a length of wire about a cubit in length
This process could be improved if the wire mesh cylinders were pre-made in a more assembly-line manner, rather than being done in the field as needed. Or, better, if the entire protector was actually 3d printed: both the big cylinder that goes around the tree and the small cylinder that's staked into the ground.