CNC Circuit Mill Curriculum
- Level: high school. Curriculum Level Notes.
- Curriculum Standards Addressed: See Curriculum Standards.
- Concept: applied lesson in using the D3D CNC Circuit Mill to mill circuits by using precise bed leveling.
- Prerequisites: Availability of D3D CNC Circuit Mill. Background curriculum: [[3D Printing Toolchain 101. KiCAD 101 - up to mastery of Gerber file generation. Soldering 101.
- Lesson Duration: 4 hours. With the D3D CNC circuit mill in working order, Marlin modification would take 1 hour to get it working. Generation of manually-generated patterns from images - Milling File Generation Using Open Source Software 101. Generation of sample milling patterns from KiCAD: 1 hour. Milling experiment: 1 hour.
- Badges awarded - Open Source Circuit Milling Badge verifying the use of open source machines and open source software for producing useful circuits.
- Review and replicate modified experiment of PCB Milling with Marlin.
- Ask the author for the gcode file if possible
- 3 sessions of one hour or one 3 hour lab: 1 hr for Marlin modification. 1 hour file generation. 1 hour for milling.
- Gaining an appreciation for precision on the sub-millimeter scale
- Learning to mill circuits starting from copper boards
- Learning how to level a conducting surface very precisely using touch probing using open source software