Open Sector Creation Whitepaper
Wealth inequality today is extreme and getting worse, with 8 People owning as much wealth as the 3.5 billion people at the bottom of the pyramid. We propose a solution for the last unsolved frontier of economics - distribution - in the form of Open Sector Development (OSD). OSD is the entrepreneurial creation of collaborative and open enterprise ecosystems which eliminate inefficiencies and level the economic playing field, thereby producing significantly more value and distributing production widely. This is done without reverting to Re-Distributive means, thereby making governance more efficient at the same time. Here we present the case of an enterprise for solving access to housing that is both disruptively inexpensive. accessible. and ecological - the Seed Eco-Home housing product ecosystem. We propose a generalizeable method for enterprise development using the case study of the Seed Eco-Home, which constitutes a robust business model that can facilitate further Open Sector development by developing a robust funding mechanism that allows people to work on changing the world for a living. As such, we propose to facilitate democratic development of society anywhere in the world, by addressing fundamental structural issues within the economic system. and which is a critical component of a democratic society according to the Housing Theory of Everything and Housing First approaches.
This is a narrative to be passed on to various stakeholders to secure $1M-$10M funding in the next 14 months, after completion and sale of 2 Seed Eco-Homes, for the purpose of accelerating development to deliver the promise of a 24 person Seed Eco-Home Enterprise.
However, this writing is intended to be the basis for a Funding Construction Set for ambitious stakeholders to engage in abundance-model Open Sector development that aims towards mutually assured abundance as a new security paradigm for civilization. As such, the value proposed has trillions of return potential within 5 years, potentially constituting a para-unicorn in scale and impact.
The approach is one of ambition based on (1) fundamental solutions, (2) open collaboration, (3) time-binding (is, based on best practice and learnings over all of civilization - is, based on accurate mental models, (4) integrated design towards integrated humans using integrated product ecosystems (social and environmental externalities are internalized), and (5) inclusion leaving nobody behind (distributive). And (6) - realistic - meaning filtered by practical results of economic feasibility.
This is based on OSE's extensive prototyping experience in construction, heavy machine building, aquaponics, agriculture and perennial polyculture aspects of integrated agriculture, earthworks, 3D printing, flexible fabrication, technical training, renewable energy, enterprise development, automation, innovative business models, and Institutional Design and other topics.
Generalized Model of Transformation and a Funding Construction Set
This work is based on the Seed Eco-Home open enterprise. How is this generalizable to funding progressive human evolution?
Energy, materials, manufacturing, decarbonization, jobs, education, plastic waste, local economies, distributed production, flexible fabrication, automation, self-determination, democratic consolidation - extreme inequality historically leads to violence) .
For robust growth of the Seed Eco-Home enterprise model, investment should be allocated as follows, if one is in the startup phase. This is built on a model that already has 3 basic prototypes completed, with productization as the next step. This budget can be applied to any machine or product for rapid development of open sector product ecosystems relevant to Distributed Market Substitution, ie, towards a regenerative economy.
- $600k to develop the Seed Eco-Home Microenterprise, with conservative 1500 hr/1300 sf build time to yield a net of $400k after paying back the initial $600k startup capital after 18 months.
- $300k for full Generative Digitization of built and tested design pattern language for the Seed Eco-Home. This allows any competent designer to generate complete blueprints and fabrication drawings by specifying only the key dimensions and properties of the house. This applies to the 2 story 1300 and 2000 sf production models of the Seed Eco-Home from 2023, followed by a 1 story model. Ideally, 6-12 programmers for 5 months. See Seed Eco-Home Design Workbenches. The end point is generating full plans, build drawings, module build fabrication drawings, City Permit Submission Package, and supporting documents for a construction manager. Output is about 300 pages for a typical house.
- $300k for documentation and curriculum - Integrated House Design Curriculum for Efficient Housing Production. Promise of Hard Build Cost immeidately 55% and later 33% of industry standards via Open Sector Development for design, materials, build, and DIY build capacity.
- $1.6M to develop the Seed Eco-Home Enterprise, with net revenue of $4.1M after 18 monts, including repayment of the $1.6M startup.
- 3D Printing + WAAM - Shredder $15k, Filamenter $30k,  Dual Head Supervolcano 3D Printers at 60 lb/day with high temp chamber= $75k. Design team = $500k for one year - WAAM, high temp dual head, shredder, torch table. Based on Universal Modules - Universal Frame, generalized Universal Axis with addition of rail for torch table.
The OSE priority is a Seed Eco-Home Microenterprise followed by a 24 Person Seed Eco-Home Enterprise (small enterprise), where the 24 person model is a close extension of the 6 person model but requiring 10k sf workshop space instead of 5000 sf, nominally. The 24 person model allows for a Seed Funding Model - is, stable operation with stable product, which can readily bootstrap to a 10x model of a 240 person medium scale enterprise. At the 240 person scale, we can consider a basic structure of executive, design staff, logistics, and a dozen construction managers each running a 24 person crew, each crew member owning a certain part of the build. The plant can still minimally remain at the 10k sf space, with 20 mobile trailers - one enclosed side-loadable and a second one for heavy machines and bulk materials.
The General Model of Transformation involves in-house lifelong learning opportunities. This is begun as a school without walls at the micro-enterprise stage with opt-in participation, the incentive being higher efficiency achieved on a faster time scale based on a competency-based reward structure. At the scale of the 240 person operation (2 houses built every day, $50M net annual budget not counting tuition revenue), the learning campus gains the opportunity to transition to world class status, competitive with leading institutions of higher education.
- Foundations and grant sources - renewable energy, housing, democracy, workforce, environmental, food security.
- Affordable housing orgs
- Food security orgs
- Workforce development orgs, economic development orgs
- Collapseneurs -
- Collapsitarians -
- Chambers of commerce - develop
- Native American and disadvantaged groups - economic development
- High net worth individuals - Here is a million, watch me take it to 4 in 1 year
- Small donors
- Potential apprentices - direct stakeholders
- Tradespeople -
- Possibly A/B share equity capital
- Individuals interested in changing the world
- Veterans orgs
- Homelessness orgs - proposing the Norway/Finland Housing First Model
- Enterprise and startup orgs
- Global warming - 50 totes = heat/cool for 10 days, $6k in heat pump, $5k totes, $5k BoS. Do the numbers for a 12kW home system.
- See Solving Pressing World Issues Forum of OSE for general, taken to specific cases here which are also rollout-aligned for the next 14 months
- The Revolution will not be funded. It must be bootstrapped.
- Current case aims to solve Open Sector development and its funding; housing that is affordable: homelessness; education (through Integrated Learning which has as its main point the creation of creative and integrated people, not disintegrated cogs in the system); plastic waste; global warming (50-75% of the economy is built environment materials and its energy; workforce development and upgrading; purpose; Housing Theory of Everything; Local materials and closed loop flows; Open Source Heavy Machines for terraforming prosperity; Automation for good; Autonomous transportation; Industry 4.0 = distributed economy (they call it iot); food production and LandLink to the farm; Ex. Bakery and dairy + beans.