CharMaker MPP by EarthSystems
CharMaker Mobile Pyrolysis Plant, developed by the Australian company EarthSystems is a mobile pyrolysis plant in a shipping container. It converts biomass to biochar or standard charcoal. Any log or stick sized woody biomass can be used and chipping is not required.
- pro: mobile, shipping container form factor,
- pro: no chipping required (also true for other kilns such as the Kon-Tiki
- pro: optional systems for: heat recovery for drying / space heating, for wood vinegar and bio-oil, for small-scale power generation
- con: smaller "baskets" that need to be loaded into the container - seems cumbersome, means that some fossil fuel input necessary, forklift required, (=$)
- con: this does not appear to be "open burn" pyrolysis that may be required for good mobilization of volatiles and hence high-quality biochar
- con: needs some external fuel to get the process going (this could easily be changed though)