Compost Chicken System
Chickens can be fed on worms, bugs, food waste and forage alone. This can eliminate the need for grain purchases entirely. Please have a look at the approach that Karl Hammer of Vermont Compost has taken.
- A buck per chicken, indicating that the industry standard is a loss leader - 
- Dressing percentage for heritage chicken is 68-70% - 
Interview with Karl Hammer:
Video from Vermont Compost:
Also from Vermont Compost - grain-free chickens:
- Most relevant: Compost Chicken on Steroids with Geoff Lawton
- Karl Hammer
- Chicken and Top Heritage Chicken Breeds for Meat and Chicken Market Research
- Fertilized Chicken Eggs
- Open Source Chicken Incubator
- Automatic Chicken Door
- Agriculture Log
- other compost-related pages: vermicompost, black soldier fly, wood ash
More information: grain-free eggs
- OSE Blog April 2016: "Introducing a New Distributive Enterprise: Grain-Free Eggs and Aquaponic Greens"
- Treehugger: "How to grow chickens without buying grain" (embedded video broken but here is a copy).