D3D Laser Cutter
- Part of the Open Source Digital Fabrication Construction Set
- A laser cutter that uses the D3D frame and Universal Axis system.
- Cutting of many materials of varying thickness (depends on output power)
- Engraving of flat wood or metal surfaces
- Engraving of the glass subsurface ( See this video )
3D printer conversions:
- 2.5 W engraves well and cuts paper - and 4 mm plywood with multiple passes. . Uses Inkscape with engraving plugin -, . 2.5W laser needs a 2A power supply. Needs a regulator to modulate power output.
- 2.5 W with RAMPS - . 3 mm balsa at 10 mm/sec works with 3 passes. One model of CEB Press - could be done rapidly. Thus, modeling 1 mm cardboard would be 10 mm/sec one pass - probably. A 5 minute cut gets us 300 seconds of cut - 120" or 10 feet of cut. In one hour - say over lunch - we get up 3600 seconds - 120 feet of cut. Plenty for modeling.
Minimum Viable Product
- Uses the Open Source Laser Construction Set
- Scalable output power (from 1 Watt to 10 Kilowatts)
- Collects the debris via suction from an Open Source Vacuum Cleaner for recycling
- See Small Lasers for diode choices from 3 to 15 Watts. 3.5 watts appears ideal - it can do 3 mm plywood.
DXF cutting files for frames - Laser_Cutter_Frames
- 3W Laser - shows 6mm cut, and source for laser.
- 4W Laser
- Laser Head
- Laser Cutter Benchmarking
- Fiber Laser
- Laser Head
- Direct Diode Laser
- Laser SMEs
- Beam Combining
- Laser Diode
- Laser Scanner
- Open Source Laser Tech Tree of Choices
- Moushira on Risha Laser
- 3D Printed Laser Cutter
- 5 kW Handheld Laser
- Prusa i3 version of laser cutter. Linked from Wikipedia Prusa i3 article. - .
- Functional Diagram for CO2 laser cutter - Laser_Cutter/Research_Development#Functional_Diagram
- Open Source software for controlling lasers -LaserWeb