Laser Cutter/Research Development
|Home | Research & Development | Bill of Materials | Manufacturing Instructions | User's Manual | User Reviews|
Current project direction is to adopt the Lasersaur upon completion, but further research never hurts.
How It Works
Notes: 1. Pumping makes many electrons to rise at the same time, creating coherent light. 2. laser cavity sides must be parallel to 0.2 micron - and then wavelengths are selected. 3. Small hole on one side allows a narrow beam to escape.
Types of Lasers for Cutting
- CO2 - earliest technology for cutting lasers
- Small diode lasers
- Direct Diode - high power 600W 
- Fiber lasers - diodes coupled to doped fibers, where the fibers provide the gain 
There is evidence that by using laser engraver tubes ($200 each), say 10 of them, an industrial power laser can be put together at reasonable cost. The challenge is to work out the optics for paralleling the beams
- Instructables Laser Cutter
- - CNC laser cutter for metal.
- Self-replicating, cheap, CNC laser.
- Reciprocating Laser Cutter