3D Printer Marketing
- 1 Strategy
- 2 Product Menu
- 3 Notes on Marketing
- 4 Regional Contact Lists
- 5 Value Proposition to Librarians
- 6 Areas
- 7 Value Proposition
- 8 Event Promotion Checklist
- 9 Venues
- 10 Universities
- 11 Organizations
- 12 Recruiting the Trainers
- 13 Home School Programs
- 14 See Also
- 15 Useful Links
- Find out what the beachhead market is - by talking to multiple stakeholders across product areas
- What is the most desirable product with the largest market?
- Is there a budget for that?
- What is the process for making a sale? Bureaucracy, Decision Making Unit, timeframe.
- Develop products based on feedback. This helps focus the product development on critical features, while retaining all OSE Specifications for product design
- 3D Printer Design Guide - $20 for teachers to build their 3D printers - which are functional with high quality, but not for high temperature materials. Use common off-the-shelf parts. All part libraries included, basis for beginning to build. Scalable modeling system. Just for the D3D PVC, but also upgrade for metal and Titan Aero.
- Desktop Microfactory Design Guide - $20 - 3d printer, plus adding the laser cutter, cnc circuit mill, and 3D printer filament making infrastructure. Experimental kits for the productive student.
- Universal Axis Design Guide - $20 - the full design guide covering from bootstrap 3DP to heavy duty cnc machining
- 3D Printer Construction Set Online curriculum - grade 6-12 - $200 for a 1 year subscription on the 3D Printer Construction Set lessons and support. Exercises in design and build, covering 3D printing, design in FreeCAD. Free to preview, paid for webinars, certification. 3D Printer Designer Badge.
- Open Source Product Design for Schools - 12 top projects, with enterprise on the other side.
- Prototyping the GVCS - creating working scale models of machines so we can build education kits. Grade 9-12. Outcome is marketable learning kits for the buildable machines.
- Open Source Product Development - $200 for 1 year of product development, where we design 4 products - minimum 100 signups required. Money goes to a crowd-funded prize - implemented most simply on FB and using Wiki templates + Discussion Forum, unless HeroX does better. Relocalizing production of key products. Solving the challenge of Development Effort in a distributed framework - based on financial feedback loops and a business plan.
- Plain Entry Level Kit - $250-450, depending on 1 day build, or 1 week build. Full vs. vitamins kit
- The Standard OSE Kit - D3D industrial grade - $800?
- Basic Edu Pacakge - 3 3D printers, filament, Curriculum for 1 year of support including prototyping, recycling. CAD and design education. Includes OSE Club formation and support. $8k?
- Education Package - 3 D3D printers, filament, grinder, and filament maker for recycling. Curriculum for 1 year of support including prototyping, recycling. CAD and design education. Includes OSE Club support. $10k
- Education Package Deluxe - 1 large (meter) printer, 6 D3D printers, filament, grinder, and filament maker for recycling. Curriculum for 1 year of support including prototyping, recycling. CAD and design education. $25k, including 3 day professional development on site.
- XM Build - 1 day build of 12 printers. $800 each.
- Professional Development - 1 day - quick build - and begin design in FreeCAD for 3D printing. $999
- 2 Day PD - 1 day build, second day for design in FreeCAD, and modify files that you download.
- 3 Day PD - adds third day - collaborative literacy - as in Professional Development
- Large 3D Printer - 1 cubic meter printer for printing chairs and desks and other large objects. $9k for the build, 1 day.
- Corporate Team Building - build a large printer with your team and learn about collaboration and teamwork along principles of scrum. Bring the printer back to your office to print desks and furniture from your own recycled trash. $15k for a weekend. Donate the printer to a local school.
- Corporate Team Building with a Purpose - build a large printer with your team and learn about collaboration and teamwork along principles of scrum. Bring the printer back to your office to print desks and furniture from your own recycled trash. $25k for a weekend.
- Home and Office Recycling Programs - Group Course. turn trash into 3d printing filament, and print useful things. A 5 day intensive course. 3DP build (12" bed) on Day 1, Day 2 is filament maker, day 3 is filament grinder. Learning CAD, design, printing, slicing toolchain on Day 4. On day 5, we experiment with plastic recycling and filament making formulas.
Notes on Marketing
3D printer resources for teachers -
Regional Contact Lists
- Michael Poremba
- Lily Mallekpour
- Google X OSHWA Member
- Rachel Katz
- Google X friend
- Farmer Scott
Value Proposition to Librarians
- Get a makerspace for your library and get Continuing education credit while you are at it.
- Down the road, offer accredited credit
- Rationale: the trend in libraries is turning them into makerspaces - libraries want there libraries to be part of the future. Many librarians also pursue continuing education, as they love to learn. We can do both - and we could also involve them in Public Product Design. Imagine if people could design the products they use.
- 3D Printer XM Workshop Marketing
- 3D printer XE Workshop Marketing
- 3D Printer XD Workshops Marketing - these are extreme design jams, which are accompanied by HeroX incentive prizes. XD Jam provides a prototyping environment for the Open Source Everything Store. XD Jams are funded synergistically via machine builds on the first day. XD Jam costs a little - as a boot camp on rapid prototyping, and an opportunity to engage in the rapid prototyping. This is OSE's route to scalable prublic development with accessible tools. It is like a hackathon, except with addition of real prototyping.
- 3D Printer Kits Marketing - these are online one-click drop ship + on-demand part printing with auto harvesting. Web presence is copy for selling these. Also offers a 12-pach drop ship for those who want to run workshops. There could be. 2 packages: drop ship + Workshop Teacher's Guide, and another package that includes consulting on running workshops, or consulting alone.
- Microfactory Marketing - this is where we teach people to create flexible on-demand production enterprises. This uses online platforms for production.
- Scalable, modular construction set, not only forr 3DP but others
- Package for plastic recycling to 3D printing
- Enterprise opportunity
- Distributive - for enlightened algorithms
Event Promotion Checklist
- Eventzilla Registration created
- Posted to Website
- Posted to Facebook
- Online Calendar Listings
- Email blast
- Summer camps - particiants build their own for XM, or we teach the instructors to teach their participants
- Libraries - a heap of librarians build the printer in XE, so they manage the printing capacity. Or,
- Elementary and high school librarians
- Elementary and high school STEAM students
- University campuses - art and architecture with big printer (3' version)
- Existing tech iCal people who want to learn the organization and Teaching side
- Organizations who currently run workshops - such as The Crucible
- Builds at tech shop
- Builds and presentations at tech centers
- Build workshops for STEAM centers
- Hackerspaces - boot camp for potential workshop teachers.
- Co-organization with 3D printing businesses
- Co-organization with known orgs, such as tech crunch, hackaday, and even Make
- Hillsdale College
- Evergreen College
- Princeton - ivies for training with 1 week class for extra money. Boot Camp includes 2 builds, and third is with oversight, and new ones are by the student
- MIT -
- Rodale Institute
- Mother Earth News
- Botanical Gardens - with Aquaponic Focus
Recruiting the Trainers
People who can teach and are already skilled in 3D printing are prime candidates for teaching OSE workshops. Set up.of one-click kit.com or other options is desirable. List of candidates:
- Joe Mike Terranella - Kansas City - 
Home School Programs
Home school programs are often state funded. In Alaska families get about $2K per student per year. Generally funds are released at the beginning of July or August for the school year. Major purchases are usually made first. The 3D Printer build could be the foundation of a core science course or possibly a major unit study.
The build price structure most likely will need to have the printer included in the class as many homeschool programs won't pay for equipment. Also, it is customary to find a way to include siblings, possibly as auditors, or by charging by the build team.
If we send the printer parts ahead, with excellent instructions, we could come later to do a two-day workshop answering questions, assist builds, and trouble-shoot with participants. This would require getting several families to participate in each workshop. Homeschoolers are very hands-on, very much makers and doers.
- Lulzbot for education - bundles, discounts, AVL -  . Inquire about copying 4 step copy at OSE using Lulzbot Cura.