See Instruction Blog Post for how this development process works - 
The OSE Icons are used to facilitate Open Source Product Development. OSE is a tribe of developers, and a tribe needs a common language. That common language inlcludes the wiki, icons, and a common set of development tools in the form of OSE Linux. These 3 elements (+ others) form a development ecology, where each element reinforces the other:
- The wiki is a large database, and navigation logic needs to be clear to the OSE developer tribe.
- Icons can be used to represent machines, the development process, enterprise development steps, etc - all the aspects of Open Source Product Development.
- Icons can be used to distinguish the type of content, such as CAD or an email list.
- How to find something on the wiki? First, understand that there are different content types (such as CAD assets, email lists, diagrams, etc). Each should be findable by using an official content type word, such as CAD or Diagram, or Email List.
- The icons should correspond to official content type words - such that the icons reinforce the organization of the wiki - together with the content type words.
- As such, all Development Template items should have a corresponding icons, and so should all mahchines and their parts - ie, the GVCS Modules. Other icons should include those that are used in creating instructionals - such as safety or tool icons. All in all, any concept or item that is an established OSPD step should have an associated icon.
- The goal is to have the OSE development tribe understand a common language of development, such that anyone can find anything on the wiki - even in the absence of good wiki indexing. In development work, good organization follows product release - so understanding how to find something on the wiki prior to product release is an important skill that OSE Developers must develop. Icons can help in this understanding to help people navigate visually.
Intro Blog Post
- Goal of 1000 in 6 months
- Week 2 - 67 first cuts of icons
- Link to numbers - 
- List of Icons being developed - 
- See also - Graphics Working Team
This is the source repository for OSE's icon library - which includes the source Inkscape files for every icon. You are free to improve these icons by downloading the source and uploading a new version of the file using Wiki Version Control. Write down your change notes. To receive credit for your work, note your contribution in our contributor log: