LifeCat 1.0/Research Development/Commercial Designs Research
This is an excellent review of other technology.
Jopie282 added examples of different features of commercial skid-steers.
How should I contact user:Jopie282 with an invitation to the Tractor working group ?
This page tries to collect key specifications, design features and provide links to commercial designs for comparative analysis and to generate realistic specifications for our vehicle.
Skid steer machine brands
Analyzed Radial Arm Skid Steers
Interesting Design Features
- Bob-Tach quick attach system
- Keel shaped undercarriage that gives you higher ground clearance and sheds debris to the outside much like the way a “V” shaped boat slices through water
- Automatic shutdown in case of engine or hydraulic malfunction
- Chaincase is the only maintenance-free chaincase in the industry with exclusive fixed axle tubes, stronger axles, fully sealed bearings, plus the largest chains in the industry.
- Axle bearings are automatically lubricated with chaincase oil—so they never need greasing.
- Radius lift path provides maximum reach at truck bed height
- Single plane design of Bobcat loader lift arms is superior to other machines. We keep every pin and connecting point in the same plane, greatly reducing the side deflection of the lift arm. This stronger design leads to longer lift arm life because there is less chance of failure and better wearing.
- Simply Skid Steers - Good information for comparison of many different types of skid steers.
- Richie Specs - Great tool for comparing specs on skid steers or any other type of equipment
Mid-Size Skid Steer Standards
- Bucket breakout forces as high as 7532lbs (3416kg) (Volvo's MC80B)
- Lifting forces as high as 6800lbs (3084kg) (Komatsu's SK1020-5)
- Wheel base usually 40-49" (102-124cm)
- High and low flow options
- Vertical lift arm
- Use more complex linkages at the rear to lift bucket straight up
- More upward reach at max height. Good for applications of stacking pallets of heavy materials in storage areas
- Better at lift and loading loose material into a dump truck
- More consistent and precision when using attachments that break, pound or grind
- Radial lift arm
- Simple arm connected by single pin
- Starts at low position and close to body of vehicle then follows arc of travel
- Better at digging into pile of material and loading it over lower barriers
- Better at moving heavy loose materials low to the ground
- Work well with attachment that trench, rake and pull