OSE Chapter Training Calendar
The time until beginning of training can be between a few to 12 weeks, depending on pace of progress. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. The weekly schedule may look like:
- Video of Interest
- Interview 1 - Basic Interview
- Interview 2 - Expectations and Risk Assessment Meeting
- Sponsor is identified for funding the Chapter, and funding is secured. This step can take several weeks.
- Enterprise mentor is recruited
- Workshop space is secured for 2 years, about 25-100 square meters minimum depending on project chosen.
- Payment is made to OSE
- Kickoff meeting - program beginning.
Work focuses on hands-on development, which will be at least 50% of the learning time. For the weekly meeting with the instructor - prior reading materials are reviewed before the meeting. Each meeting starts with a 5 minute assessment or exam of last week's learnings, discussion of that work's week, and ends with a preview to next week's content. Work focuses on FreeCAD design followed by build for any of the development items. Typically, we work with existing designs in FreeCAD, we redesign/upgrade them, and prototype the new design. At all times, we decide on where to freeze the designs vs make improvements. The trainee is involved in learning the ropes, while making small improvements and contributions to the work. There is a lot of flexibility in the program, depending on the needs of the student.
Each week also involves continuing training in OSE Specification and OSE Development Protocol. We will continue delving into OSE Specifications on a point-by-point basis - until the student can demonstrate a good understanding of applying each specification point to actual designs as the program moves forward. We will frequently discuss, 'how does this design feature meet specification X?'. In a similar fashion, we will continue to iron out the collaborative development protocols of the OSE Development Protocol - focusing on the 40 items of the product development template, and 20 items of the enterprise development template.
There will be ample time throughout the 1-2 years to engage in collaborative design activity where students/collaborators gain significant exposure to large-scale, collaborative development protocols. The intended outcome is that the collaborator becomes comfortable with leading design and development work - guiding others in learning the process.
Builds Schedule - 3D Printer
The weekly, hands-on, technical learning schedule (outside of OSE Specifications and OSE Development Protocol lessons, is as follows. Each week will involve work on different steps of the OSE Collaboration Protocol, while learning to build things in real life. This is a suggested schedule only and is subject to change based on the needs of both parties and progress made. The schedule should allow ample time for completion, but if more time is needed, then some parts may not be covered. The entire program must fit in the allotted training program duration of 1-2 years as selected intitially during the application phase. In the case of any extraordinary events, such as national emergency, natural catastrophe, war, disease outbreak, or any event that prevents normal progress - the training duration will simply be extended to cover the missed time.
- Work plan - creating an editable, updatable work plan with milestones based on a Critical Path template. This is an agile planning method which allows for continuous updates of the plan throughout the duration of the year.
- Collaborative literacy - how to collaborate on a large scale by publishing early and often, and what tools to use
- FreeCAD design and merge workflow. Part library creation.
- Machine Design Basics - Frames, precision axes, rotary axes, rotors, bearings, geardowns, stepper motors, stepper drivers, and heater elements
- OSE Specifications and design for distributive manufacturing
- 3D printer build - Universal
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Design of Frames
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Design of Axes
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Design of Heat Bed
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Design of Extruder
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Design of High Temp Heat Bed
- 3D Printer Build - Pro Build
- 3D Printer Build - Pro 2 Build
- 3D Printer Build - Pro 3 Build
- 3D Printer Build - High Temperature Build Chamber Design
- CNC Torch Table - Design Upgrade
- CNC Torch Table - Build Frame
- CNC Torch Table - Build Frame
- Plastic Shredder - Design. Source parts.
- Plastic Shredder - Build Geardowns
- Plastic Shredder - CNC Blade Cutting
- Plastic Shredder - throughput data collection week
- Plastic Shredder - Design Improvements 1
- Plastic Shredder - Design Improvements 2
- Filament Maker - Design
- Filament Maker - Build Frame and mechanical
- Filament Maker - Build electronics
- Filament Maker - Data Collection on throughput, quality
- Data Collection on Extrusion Rates and Their Maximization with up to 1.6 mm nozzles
- 3D Printer Extruder Development - scaled heater blocks with clamp design
- 3D Printer Extruder Development - building prototypes
- 3D Printer Extruder Development - Making upgrades
- 500 Modules - introduction to generating the entire technosphere
- Large 3D printer for Construction Materials
- Large 3D printer: Multiple-Head 3D printers
- From here on, this is the track that is done only if we have completed all of the above. CNC Cicuit Mill - design
- Quality control procedures for distributed quality control
- 3D Printer Design for Manufacturing
- The last 3 months are dedicated to a final development project, based on agreed-upon priorities for achieving success as a Chapter. This may be a technology prototyping or a documentation/edu-marketing project
- Weeks 40-50 are discressionary - covering any time overruns on other weeks in addition to work on the final project
Builds Schedule - Tractors and Heavy Equipment
The schedule is analogous to the 3D printer curriculum, but starts with the CNC Torch Table, tractor, microtractor, and other equipment as needed.
Builds Schedule - Seed Home 2
This schedule will be decided upon collaboratively with the applicant. We may start with 3D Printing for Construction, some heavy equipment, or we can start directly in housing.
For any other projects, a custom program will be drawn up collaboratively.