OSE FreeCAD Workbenches
FreeCAD, like many modern design applications such as Revit or CATIA, is based on the concept of Workbench. A workbench can be considered as a set of tools specially grouped for a certain task. See more at https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Workbenches#:~:text=FreeCAD%2C%20like%20many%20modern%20design,grouped%20for%20a%20certain%20task.
Playlist - Using the OSE FreeCAD Workbenches Platform
This walks you up to the point of generating your first part in the workbench.
OSE Workbench Platform for Dummies
- The platform allows you to create clickable icons for doing OSE design: click on an icon, and the CAD of that is inserted into a working document. The intent is rapid design of real technology - if the CAD inserted is real, not just a BS abstraction. For CAD to be real, it must match a BOM, and it must consider build procedure.
- You click an icon to add specific CAD to a working doc.
- This advanced workflow can be created by non-programmer dummies, pending basic learning. G has created a template for doing this.
- The challenge is: generating Python scripts for 3D CAD. Impossible. But made possible by simply copy-paste of the Python console window in FreeCAD, which converts your design process into lines of code! Very powerful feature of FreeCAD.
About FreeCAD Workbenches
FreeCAD workbenches are groups of tools and functionality within the open source FreeCAD software. In the OSE case, we use them for designing GVCS Machines using OSE Part Libraries and design methods embodied in our Design Guides. This is all done within the open source, extensible FreeCAD software.
List of Workbenches from OSE
- D3D Freecad Workbench - 3D printer workbench can generate frames, corners, and mount the axes and bed on the frame. This allows for rapid modeling of any 3D printer geometry, and to extract rod/frame angle sizes for a cut list, and to determine range of motion.
- OSE Piping Workbench - can generate any plumbing fitting in the world
- SH2 Panel Workbench - Experimental workbench to generate wall panel modules for Seed Eco Home 2