Open Source Electric Kiln
- A Kiln that uses wire-resistance based heat to reach and hold a set temperature
- Can also be used as a metal melting furnace, but this is not reccomended (outside of mettulurgical chemistry, and "special" use cases neccesitating it's use) due to it's innefficiency
- Instead use the Induction Furnace
- Used mainly for:
- It is a relitively inexpensive device to build for a shop/makerspace/microfactory, and the capabilities it provides make it almost essential
Existing Open Source Designs
- [ One of the Main Projects of the Youtube Channel "Paul's Garage" has been such a device
- Unlike others however, it is high quality, and has other functions such as gas injection for an inert, or reducing atmosphere
- This, plus their documentation seems to make this the obious option
=Minimum Viable Product
- Firebrick lined inside sealed with Firebrick Mortar for longevity
- Common Tube for use of an inert atmosphere, or a reducing gas (but this is an option, but perhaps install the tube anyways for ease of upgradability?)
- Arduino controlled for complex heating cycles, and gas managment
- Display of current temperature, desired temperature, and perhaps time left? (simple display, 7 segment even)
- Temperature probe
- Essentially a sheet metal (powder coated?) exterior to hold everything together and add some durability/regidity
- Perhaps a "ledge" below or above for all the electronics etc
- nicrome wire?
- What type of pipe?
- Use hole saw to drill, through a top (for downwards flow? does this matter?) firebrick
- Add either a cap and insulation, if not in use, or a manifold for inert or reducing gas
- Custom Sheild?
- Universal Power Supply
- Can this perhaps replace the control unit too?
- Either a few 7 Segment Displays, or a cheap lcd/e ink
- 3D Printed Holder
- Label either with a labelmaker, or with perhaps incorperating the labels into the 3d print (celcius/farenheight marker, what the gauge represents etc)
- Somthing like octoprint but for kiln heat profiles, that and/or a simple knob system (for simple ones) and an sd card (for complex ones especially with gas)