Open Source Microfactory Startup Camp Remote Participation Topics
- 1 Recorded Sessions
- 1.1 Startup Camp 2019 - Collaborative Literacy
- 1.2 Startup Camp 2019 - How to Start an Amazon Store for Your Open Source Hardware Business
- 1.3 Open Source Business Models
- 1.4 Economics of 3D Printing
- 1.5 Big Picture of the Open Source Economy
- 1.6 Open Source Microfactory Infrastructures - from Home Scale to Off-Grid, Green Microfactory
- 1.7 The CNC Torch Table: Key Tool of the Open Source Microfactory
- 1.8 3D Printing Production Engineering
- 2 Plan
- 3 Links
Open Source Business Models
Economics of 3D Printing
- Intro - what are the startup costs, and revenue basics?
- $1000 printer. Or half that if you built it yourself. $15/filament roll of 2lb, such as Matterhackers.
- Electricity costs and extrusion rates - 
- Other materials - if concrete and earth - this becomes a heavy equipment issue
- Hong Kong event - March 9 - getting into printing homes
- Construction materials and large objects
- Housing - , AI SpaceFactory. 20% and 40% cheats.
- Metal printing -  - $1/lb filament cost! Electricity is 5%. 3D Printed Windmill Tower
- Fiber-reinforced plastics- as strong as aluminum - 3D Printer Subscription
- High Temperature Enclosure
- Common products - the 99 cent plumbing fitting. The 4" elbow. Product strategy and product fit to market.
- Valuation of open hardware for the OS Everything Store
- Economics of 3D Printing + rubber.
Big Picture of the Open Source Economy
Open Source Microfactory Infrastructures - from Home Scale to Off-Grid, Green Microfactory
The CNC Torch Table: Key Tool of the Open Source Microfactory
Going through the design concept:
3D Printing Production Engineering
Remote sessions for the Open Source Microfactory Startup Camp. Schedule and topics may change slightly.
- How to Start an Amazon Store - What are the steps for, practical issues of, and true costs of starting and running an Amazon store.
- Open Hardware Business Models - viable business model options for open hardware, revenue projections and scenarios for sample products; revenue model case studies. Valuation of Open Hardware, Common household products paper, and Case Study of Distributed Eyeglasses Production. SU as model for OSE education franchise. TedX model, X Prize model, Extreme Manufacturing model, STEAM Camps model. Kits.
- Ergonomics and Economics of Kit Production. How to Produce a Universal Axis Kit. How to produce the D3D Universal Kit. How to produce a CNC plotter kit. How to produce a D3D Simple 3D Printer Kit. How to produce a CNC mill kit.
- Open Source Economics - definition of, philosophy of humility, branding, case studies, and growing the pie for everyone.
- The Economics of 3D Printing - producing common goods, custom items, and construction materials using 3D printing. Production rates. Value per printer hour. The 3D printing hype curve: what was missing? Economics of household good production with 3D printers. Economics of Printing with Rubber.
- The Open Source Microfactory Infrastructure - How to design and operate an on open source microfactory. Startup budget. Home workshop. Garage workshop. Basic heavy machine workshop facilities. Full Workshop facility. The Off Grid Microfactory. The Desktop Microfactory. The Open Source Materials Production Facility. Layout, parts inventory, workflow.
- Franchising, Producer Training, and Certification - What is a financial model for disseminating microfactories worldwide? What does an open source franchise look like? Franchise agreements. OSE Producer Certification.
- Product Support and Warranties - How to leverage an online community for support. Forums. Askbot. Product reviews. How to leverage lifetime design for an Unlimited Lifetime Warranty. Collaborative dev can include R&D - marketing - product support via community and forum and simple design - and lifetime guarantee. COTS addresses parts support. Documentation addresses customer support in a major way.
- Production Engineering - Detailed ergonomics of production and revenue genearation. Production rates. Production revenues for machines per hour. Requirements: nitty gritty of STLs, profiles. Using specific nozzle size depending on print size: Microfactory vs Torch Table and larger machines vs construction and furniture.
- Packaging - shipping options, labeling, packaging. Flat rate, envelope, and custom shipments. The USPO mailbox.
- Distribution Channels - How to set up an Amazon or Etsy store. Setting up kit sales on Kit.com. Setting up a Crowd Supply channel. Kickstarter campaigns. E-commerce, m-commerce, and an OSE Everything Store app. Direct marketing. Edumarketing. Sales funnel for OSE collaborators: designing a sales funnel for your open hardware business, and leveraging collaboratively-developed products marketing assets. Drop shipping.
- Product Photo Shoot - How to do a product photo shoot.
- Collaborative Production of Documentation -- Creating a Build Manual (for builders), Production Manual (for entrepreneurs), and a Product Manual with Troubleshooting and Repair information (for users). How to do a Documentation Sprint to produce a product manual with a Remote Team using realtime collaborative editing: roles involved.
- Open Source Everything Store - The concept of collaborative product development for scaling self-determination. The most efficient way to produce. From vision to execution. On-demand production infrastructure for microfactories. Required uniform infrastructure, delivery time, and producer certification. Open Source Everything Store templates on the wiki. Defining standards for the Open Source Everything Store: The 12 Requirements.
- The Open Source Film Studio - Using the OSE Tablet Video Studio. Making and preparing education products for YouTube, live streams, webinars, and podcasts. Combining the Open Source Film Studio for product photo shoots, promotional materials, and instructionals. How to script and produce an explainer video, a blackboard video, and a whiteboard video. Collaborative production of video assets with shared Kdenlive files and YouTube assets.
- Product Templates - embeddable website product page templates with 3D visualizations and product reviews for e-commerce. How to create them and use them for your own online store, and how these fit into the Open Source Everything Store.
- Product Strategy - What is a Product Strategy? How to design a robust product strategy. How to design an irresistible offers in open source; education products; bootstrapping products. Physical products, education as products, and the Experience Economy.