3D Printed Windmill Tower
Cost of a 200' Tower, 4' Diameter, 1/4" Wall Thickness
- Metal 3D printing - with MIG welders, 250 amp each at 30V
- Welding wire - $68 for 44 lb - 
- Alibaba shows down to 50 cents per lb - . ($900-1500/ton)
- 12' length of diameter. 12 SF per foot of height. 6" build per hour. 400 hours for tower, or just 17 days. Could possibly increase to 12 welders, at 8 days for the tower.
- This tower is 24000 lb - 120 lb/ft
- It would be useful to make wire for reduced cost. If produced from scrap, tower could cost not $12k at Alibaba costs, but much less.
Use of Delta 3D Printers and/or Hangprinters in the Printi ng of VAWT Towers/Blades
- The shape stability and speed of deltas all lend themself to printing VAWT turbines
- Hangprinters may be less stable, but otherwise work