Sep 3, 2016 - CEB Press CAD Design Sprint
Design Sprint Recording
- Library parts source - CEB_Press/Current_Downloads#CNC_Metal_Cutting_Files
- Unique parts source - File:Ceb6unique half.dxf
- F1 - File:F1.dxf. File:F1.FCStd
- F2 - File:F2.dxf. File:F2.FCStd
- F3 - File:F3.dxf. File:F3.FCStd
- F4 - File:F4.dxf.
- F5 - File:F5.dxf. File:F5.FCStd
- F6 - File:F6.dxf. File:F6.FCStd
- F7 - File:F7.dxf. File:F7.FCStd
- F8 - File:F8.dxf. File:F8.FCStd
- F12 - File:F12.dxf. File:F12.FCStd
- F13 - File:F13.dxf. File:F13.FCStd
- Front cover plate - File:Frontcover.dxf. File:Frontcover.fcstd
For the first time in project history, we are generating a fully-editable, open source 3D CAD file for the CEB Press which anyone can edit and modify using the open source FreeCAD 3D CAD software.
We already have a STEP source file for the brick press, but the file was not generated in FreeCAD - so FreeCAD cannot be used to edit the step file. Thus, the only thing we can do is to generate the entire file from scratch using a swarm process.
The good part is - we can work as a large team to build all the individual parts - and then assemble them rapidly into a completed CEB Press model. This can be done as a tag team, so instead of taking a month to draft the entire brick press - this can be done in a few days.
The goal is to convert an uneditable file into a FreeCAD editable file - so that anyone can adapt the machine to their taste - and effectively convert the OSE CEB Press into a CEB Press Construction Set.
To join this session:
- Download FreeCAD - the open source 3D CAD program
- Download LibreCAD - the open sourcce 2D CAD program
- View the 2 classic OSE FreeCAD Instructionals, 10 minutes total.
- Download the 3 sets of DXF files for digital fabrication of the CEB press - the 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8" steel files at CEB_Press/Current_Downloads#CNC_Metal_Cutting_Files. Start with File:Ceb6unique half.dxf
- Download the CEB Press - File:CEBPressJuneGroup.fcstd. You can use the FreeCAD (.fcstd) file of the overall brick press to view the overall brick press.
- Open the DXF files in LibreCAD - and select one unique part you want to work on.
- Follow the directions at DXF Import into FreeCAD to generate 3D files from 2D files by padding them.
- Take the 3D parts and assemble them into 3D part assemblies in FreeCAD
- Take the 3D Part Assemblies and assemble them into the finished machine in FreeCAD.