Development Spreadsheet Template
(Suggestion: play the video at 1.5x or 2x speed if the pace is too slow)
- 1 Instructions
- 2 Extended Development Template
- 3 Simple Template
- 4 Process Map
- 5 Development Platform Ecology
- 6 Requirements
- 7 Process Development
- 8 Older Templates
- 9 Notes
- 10 Extended Template
- 11 Layers
- 12 Links
Click Edit below the spreadsheet above - and then make a copy of the Spreadsheet. Use the Simple Template. Then embed that spreadsheet on your log. Then start filling the spreadsheet with development work. For the "Link to Work Product" in the spreadsheet, create a link that goes to the wiki page with the content. In the red column, type 1-10 for the level of completion of that step.
This way, anyone can fork or start a development project. We suggest starting a Work Log so anyone can see what anyone else on the team is doing.
Extended Development Template
Use the following template to document all of the deliverables of an Open Source Product Development process. This template has multiple viewpoints according to the Zachman Ontology concept, with the different tabs at the bottom representing the different views. this template follows module based design in that this template is used for every module and each module can be defined at any Depth of Modularity. We start with a breakdown of a machine by modules, and then we break each module into the following ~40 elements. Please note that there is a distinction between modules that are found in only one machine, vs. modules that are found in many machines. For the case where modules are found in only one machine, it is not critical to set up a separate development spreadsheet for that module. As of 2015, OSE is reframing development around modules, not machines. For example - the tracks for heavy equipment are a critical module that can be used in many heavy machines - so as opposed to developing a Bulldozer, one may choose to develop the tracks by treating the tracks as a multipurpose component. This helps to maintain the multipurpose flexibility and improves the Product Ecology of the GVCS. Note that the template below mixes process and technical development steps somewhat, and this needs to be reconciled. The entries in the spreadsheet are hyperlinked - so you can see a description of each process step. Template needs refinement for 2017-18 process evolution.
- Background -> analysis of industry standards -> open source state of art
Based on the Development Template, here is a broader Development Process Map + parallelization strategy of workflow for development:
Development Platform Ecology
- Works from the perspective of Module Based Design
- Scalable to thousands of new contributions per month
- Allows for immediate forking of projects on the module level
- Is autonomous in that entire development is explained
- Development process is fractal and modular. The whole development process is embodied for a system, machine, module, and part.
- Edit is transparent. Development team can be contacted readily.
- New people can join the project directly without any barriers.
- Credit is given to contributors
- Merit is established by the number of contributions
- Explainer videos are used throughout to train developers
- Icons are created for all systems, machines, modules, parts, and also for the full range of Zachman Framework Perspectives
In 2013 we formulated the Development Board and have made small improvememnts in 2014. At the end of 2014, we are revisiting the Development Process:
Development Template Metrics
The Development Boards (Dev Boards) are OSE's documentation. This documentation involves a comprehensive template (Dev Template) of items necessary for the directed development of products and services.
OSE is currently using the Dev Boards on the development of OSE's technologies. OSE's focus is the 50 machines of the Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) . At the same time, OSE intends to develop a generalized platform applicable to the development of any goods, services, product systems, or Product Service Systems [ref].
Success of the Development Boards may be defined by their contribution to the open source economy:
- How effectively the Dev Boards are getting completed. In other words, how effectively product are being developed
- How effectively do the Dev Boards result in technology transfer. In other words, after the product development is complete, is the product being replicated and produced towards creating an ethical economy. (The term Ethical Economy must be defined). Is the know-how leading to economic activity?
- How effectively are new tools and ecosystems being created for improving the effectiveness of product development using the Dev Boards
- How much adoption is occurring by other people or projects adopting the OSE development techniques for developing their products? Are people using the Dev Board spreadsheets or the specific protocols in the Dev Board spreadsheets to develop their products in an open source context?
- Speed of market saturation of a given field of productive endeavor
The last is the ultimate metric of success. It assumes a 'rational marketplace' where the greatest number of people benefit - a condition which may not be available in today's society. OSE's assumption is that there is potential of bypassing an irrational marketplace by inserting Meaning or Purpose (ethical principles) to attract ethical economic players who act to counterbalance centralized productive power. OSE's assumption is that if a particular economic route is beneficial to the largest number of people and environmentally sound, under the further ssumption of free enterprise – then it becomes the dominant form of enterprise.
Ethical Economy Definition
Background R&D Process
- Propose backround Briefing, based on Wikipedia and basic internet search.
- Search literature. Includes patents, scholarly articles, books. How to do a Literature Search.
- Identify world leading experts, and contact them. Contact them strategically.
- Submit OSE Requirement to the experts, soliciting feedback on a proposed pathway.
- If SME is willing, contract them for development work.
- Note: this template should be updated to reflect Zachman framework of different collaboraborator views. For example - add Zachman framework for Legal- Standards/Codes/Legal/Regulatory/Compliance/ view.
- Add Email Signature / License to Legal.
- Add to Legal View - Open standards - collaborate with Respects Your Freedom, OSHWA certified, free cultural works, etc
- Add OSHW Shitlist to Communications View
- Need to refactor this into current version via Zachman Framework - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av4ZjQn4DHJHdEZJT0dMTktQT3ljUnFrT0NENEZVUGc#gid=2
These are possible layers of the OSE Zachman ontology:
- User - someone who reads our material like Wikipedia, or who builds GVCS machines
- Legal Layer
- Media Package viewpoint - for media to take our press releases and other assets
- Art Show viewpoint - for art shows/ exhibits to use our materials freely
- Community Building
- Product Development:
- Research & Background
- Extreme Manufacturing Optimization
- Enterprise (Distributive)
- Viral Replicability Criteria
- Humanism, Psychology, Meaning, Peak Performance
- Motivation within the big picture
- Systems Design
- State of the world and relationship to material production
- GVCS Product Ecologies
- Relationship to Other Projects