Potential business model for an open source enterprise. The amount of land required will be lower than in many other agricultural pursuits, but there are special requirements in terms of climate and soil.
How To Get Started
- Decide on your goals (do you want to do the entire three-step cycle of grape growing, wine production and sales or just parts of it?)
- Find the right piece of land
- Do you need professional assistance? (to install and help maintain the vineyard, consultant's input on marketing, etc.)
- Assess the impact of local soil, local weather, microclimate, etc. How cold is the winter, etc.?
- How should you orient your vineyard?
- Will you need irrigation?
Some Open Source Hardware Needs
- Harvesting Equipment
- Fertilizer Applicator
- Storage Tanks (water)
- Soil Testing & Analysis