Instagram is a social media web site used for sharing photos and videos. Skillful use of hashtags and captions can help content on Instagram reach many people. Open Source Ecology has an Instagram account[].
- Photos should be ratio 1:1
- You can upload one or multiple photos per post
Videos are commonly shared as "Reels".
- Instagram Reels have a dedicated section in the Explore page, which means that your content can be discovered by users who are not already following you.
- Ideal length of the video is between 30-60 seconds.
- If posting from a public account, other users can remix your video
Video upload requirements on Instagram
- The Video Upload Requirements are documented on Instagram here: https://help.instagram.com/1038071743007909/?helpref=uf_share
- Aspect ratio should be between 1.91:1 and 9:16.
- Videos should have a minimum frame rate of 30 FPS (frames per second) and minimum resolution of 720 pixels.
- Videos are commonly shared as "Reels".
- The maximum file size for videos that are 10 minutes or less is 650MB. The maximum file size for videos up to 60 minutes is 3.6GB.
Editing videos for Instagram
You can use a tool like Kdenlive to edit a video to be good for Instagram. When you create your project, choose the Square 1080p 30 fps or Square 1080 60 fps. 30 fps will result in a lower file size, but may not capture very fast movement/look choppy.
Sharing videos off Instagram
When you create a video on Instagram, you can use the share feature to create embeds on other sites, such as this example:
View this post on Instagram
- OSE Instagram - []