Steam Engine Build/Cylinder Assembly
Steam Engine Build Instructions
The cylinder assembly consists of the following elements:
- Cylinder Case
- Cylinder Liner
- Cylinder Head with Valve Seats
- Cylinder Head with Mounting Bracket
- Exhaust Plenum
Create the cylinder assembly as follows:
- Purchase a cylinder liner with a 4" inch bore. Modify it as in Steam Engine Build/Cylinder Liner Modifications.
- Fabricate a cylinder case using instructions in Steam Engine Build/Cylinder Case.
- Fabricate a cylinder head using instructions in Steam Engine Build/Cylinder Valve Seats.
- Fabricate a cylinder head with mounting bracket using instructions in Steam Engine Build/Cylinder End Mount.
- Fabricate a cylinder mounting bracket using instructions in Steam Engine Build/Cylinder Mounting Bracket.
- Fabricate both halves of the exhaust plenum using instructions in Steam Engine Build/Exhaust Plenum.
- Insert the cylinder liner into the cylinder case. Make sure that all holes are aligned properly.
- Attached cylinder head with valve seats to cylinder case with two half-inch bolts using half-inch nuts.
- Attach the exhaust plenum around the cylinder case and secure it with (TBD) bolts.
Note: It may be easier to defer drilling of the exhaust holes in the liner and case until both are nearly complete. Put a cylindrical wooden form inside the liner, put the form and liner inside the case and then drill all four exhaust holes.