Andrew Buck is a physics and computer science student at North Dakota State University, located in Fargo, ND.
Things I have Worked on
Developed a preliminary design and modeled it in BRL-CAD
Made a rough copy of the design prototype and exported 2D sketches for dimensions
Team Culturing Information
WHO are you?
- Andrew Buck
- Location (Fargo, ND, United States)
- Contact Information (email@example.com (not checked often), skype: andrewbuck40, no phone)
WHY are you motivated to support/develop this work?
- Do you endorse open source culture?
- Yes, I run linux on all my computers and have done various kinds of development work on several open source projects.
- Why are you interested in collaborating with us?
- How do you think that the GVCS can address pressing world issues?
- Access to basic levels of food, sanitaion, housing, and education for billions of people is at a minimal level. Anything that can be done to address this issue would help society in many ways. Many attempts have been made at solving these problems and it seems that a more bottom up approach like the GVCS may be more effective than a top down approach as has been tried many times.
- What should happen so that you become more involved with the project?
- The project needs a better directory to help people with different skills find something they can work on. Todo lists and the like should be more available and easier to find and a common way of reporting progress on various components for the GVCS should be developed. It looks like some work in this direction is being done, but there is still a long way to go.
- What are you missing in the project?
- A list of things that need CAD models/drawings made for them. I have put together a preliminary design for the well-drilling rig, and a model based on a photo of the prototyped universal rotor. I have lots of time to make models/renderings to aid in discussion and design of the various machines, but I need 'priority' list of what would be most beneficial to the project.
- What are your suggestions for improvement of the project?
- Make it easier for people to add their contributions. Maintain lists of what needs to be done with desired timelines for their completetion so people first visiting the project can see the progress that has been made and excatly what is being worked on next.
WHAT are your skills?
- List all of your skills in these areas: Communications - Organizational - Computer Support - Finances - Design - Natural Building - Electronics - Automation - Metallurgy - Engineering - Fabrication - Agriculture - Energy - Architecture - Video/Graphics/Art - PR/Marketing - Education - Construction - Industry - CNC - Chemistry - Product Design - Other
- C/C++ Coding Ability - Skilled in Blender - Decent level of BRL-CAD ability - Skilled in LaTeX - Background in Physics and Computer Science
- How have you already contributed to the project?
HOW can you help?
- How are you interested in contributing to the work of GVCS development?
- 3d modeling and CAD work, writing design/build/operation/maintenece documentation, as well as analysis of the design limitations/improvements for machines, and organization of the wiki.
- Can you volunteer to work with us, and if so, how many hours per week?
- Yes, full time for the forseeable future. I will be here in Fargo at my computer during most of the daylight hours. I will try to keep skype open (username andrewbuck40) as much as possible. Would love to set up a regular 'conference call' on skype of the other people on the CAD team so we can coordinate our efforts.
- Are you interested in working with us for pay? If so, what services can you offer, and what is your hourly or per-project rate?
- I would be but am presently offering my services on a volunteer basis.
- Are you interested in a Dedicated Project Visit?
- Not at the moment although possibly in the future.
- Are you interested in purchasing equipment from us to help bootstrap development?
- Not at this time.
- Are you interested in bidding for consulting/design/prototyping work?
- Are you a True Fan? If not, why not?
- No, lots of free time, very little money.
- Would you like to see yourself working with us on a full-time basis?
- Yes, starting immediately and for the forseeable future (written as of May 2011).
- Are you interested in being part of the world's first, open source, resilient community? The GVCS is the preparatory step for the OSE Village Experiment – a 2 year, immersion experiment (2013-2014) for testing whether a real, thriving, modern-day prototype community of 200 people can be built on 200 acres using local resources and open access to information? We are looking for approximately 200 people to fill a diverse array of roles, according to the Social Contract that is being developed. This may be the boldest social experiment on earth - a pioneering community whose goal is to extend the index of possibilities regarding harmonious existence of humans, ecology, and technology.
- Yes, but would need much more information regarding how the prject would be managed and what its defined goals and success/failure criteria would be.
This is my attempt at testing a new method of embedding videos.
The video should be above, with subtitles. Also, this page should not be in the category 'Torch Table' even though the video is.